Default I'm building another log hive...a big one

This log hive is being made from a Monterey Cypress that we had to cut down because of the danger of it to the house. Unbeknownst to me, it had a big rotten spot probably caused by someone pounding nails in the tree before we bought the place over 40 years ago. In any case, the tree will live on as a log hive. At this stage, I'm done hollowing it out, the observation window is fitted, and the log has been picked up by Brian Vorwaller who will carve the faces of my three grand kids, with the idea being that the entrances to the hive will be through the mouths of the grand kids. It ought to be interesting.
    http://solarbeez.com/2015/02/14/gran...ogress-report/
    Brian, the wood carver, thinks he can have it done by the end of March so I can set it up for swarm season. Last year I had 8 swarms from 3 hives. This year I have 8 hives. Since I'm a natural beekeeper, I don't medicate, feed, or try to thwart the swarm urge.

Default Re: I'm building another log hive...a big one

Interesting I thought you just found hollow logs never thought about cutting one and making the hollow can't wait to see this one finished

What a great idea! Looking good so far.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    Interesting I thought you just found hollow logs never thought about cutting one and making the hollow can't wait to see this one finished
    For me, hollow logs are hard to find. It's tough (and probably illegal) to get them off the beach, so when I'm interested, I'll ask a tree trimmer or logger if they find a good log that's not too big or too small. The one I'm using this time might be a tad big.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    What a great idea! Looking good so far.
    Thanks, Ray.
    I like your quote.

Very neat idea. I really enjoyed your blog and look forward to an update when the log is returned.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeMoose View Post
    Very neat idea. I really enjoyed your blog and look forward to an update when the log is returned.
    Thanks, BeeMoose. I'll give updates as I get them from Brian and Zada Vorwaller (the couple that's working on it now.)
    In the meantime, here are a couple of 'prequels...'
    This first one is the very beginning when I asked Brian to advise me on where to open the log up so he would have plenty of room to carve the faces. He wanted a good 4 inches so he drew it out.
    http://solarbeez.com/2014/12/14/three-kids-log-hive/
    The above post also has a video of Hal talking about his log hive. Hal is my mentor when it comes to log hives. When I first joined the bee club, he was the ONLY one doing something that really appealed to me. "Non-intervention beekeeping." "I'm not going to feed, medicate, or take any honey. The bees can swarm as often as they want." His log hive is actually bigger than mine and the observation window is a good example of what I'd like mine to be.

The second post has a short (sped up) video showing me un-expertly sawing the wedge out, but I was rather proud of my "chainsaw angle selfie." I just hope I didn't go too deep because every time I tried to saw out a section, the chainsaw cut deeper than I intended, then I encountered a big rotten section caused by some nails someone drove into the tree. I was surprised to realize how much rot resulted from nails.
    http://solarbeez.com/2015/01/03/prog...-kid-log-hive/

Cool idea, but I'd need a bigger tree with 15 going on 16 grandkids.

The wood carver has made some progress on the faces and I have made the quilt box so he can carve a structure to top it off.
    Here's some updated photos and a short video...
    http://solarbeez.com/2015/03/16/facing-the-challenge/

Nice!

How do you hang frames inside and get them in and out to do inspections?
    Agis Apiaries LLC - Running hives up to 7700' elevation in pine forest.
    Like us on Facebook

Solarbeez I really enjoy seeing your projects. keep them coming. Thanks
    America is all about speed. Hot Nasty BadA$% Speed. Elanore Roosevelt 1939