Default My wax dipping tank setup

Here are some pics of my wax dipping setup.

Default Re: My wax dipping tank setup

Very professional looking tank,nice to see craftsmanship still around.You should get many years of use from this piece of equipment! If you dont mind saying just a ballpark figure,what did this piece of equipment cost? Ian what size operation do you run?

Had a local custom metal shop make it for me, was around $2,700 for just the tank, its made of stainless steel. My operation is still small, will be at 50 hives by the end of summer. My goal is to do bees commercially full time in 6-7 years with 1,000 hives.
    Last edited by Ian G; 03-26-2015 at 02:54 PM.

'tis a thing of beauty. Have you considered becoming a professional dipper in the winter? If you could work out a profitable rate it might help you fund your journey to 1000 hives.

How do you regulate the temperature? Do you have a simple valve installed? Also, curious to see your setup for doing actual dip if you don't mind sharing that too. >>Don
    2 years / 13 hives / Zone 7A www.backfortybees.com

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    'tis a thing of beauty. Have you considered becoming a professional dipper in the winter? If you could work out a profitable rate it might help you fund your journey to 1000 hives.
    For the spring dip that I did last weekend, (3/21) I put an ad on Craigslist and with our local beekeeping club, made a few hundred. I've also put an ad in craigslist for complete wax dipped hives. I didn't really expect to sell much there, maybe 1 or 2, but so far I've sold 10. If I keep this up the tank will probably pay for itself in a few years.
    Last edited by Ian G; 03-27-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davacoles View Post
    How do you regulate the temperature? Do you have a simple valve installed? Also, curious to see your setup for doing actual dip if you don't mind sharing that too. >>Don
    For regulating the temperature I don't have anything fancy. I've just got a digital meat thermometer, I keep the probe in the wax and then I just manually adjust the regulator up or down depending on the temp. I don't have any other photos of the dipping process, but basically I keep the wax temp between 260-270. On my tank I then stack 3 mediums on half of the tank, and then place either 2 mediums vertically in between the stack of 3, or will place lids/bottoms boards. Then I lock in the anti-float bars to keep it all submerged. After 12 minutes I pull them out, set them on a pallet to cool, and then start over again. After they've cooled for about 10 minutes then I just stack them on top of each other. I wear a welding apron to protect myself and clothes from the hot wax and I use thick leather welding gloves to pull the boxes out. Below is a picture of the adjustable regulator that I use.

What size is the tank and how much parafin is needed to fill it ? You use just parafin or you add something else ? .

Quote Originally Posted by Cristian View Post
    What size is the tank and how much parafin is needed to fill it ? You use just parafin or you add something else ? .
    Took about 580lbs of wax to fill it to the level I wanted. Wax mixture is 50% paraffin 140, 50% microcrystalline 180. The microcrystalline has a higher melt point and acts as a hardener to keep the wax from melting out on a hot sunny day. Gum rosin could also be used instead of the microcrystalline, which I believe is what Michael Bush and others use, however I couldn't find a source for it at the time so I went with the microcrystalline instead. I would have loved to use beeswax instead of the paraffin 140 but it was too expensive and I don't have much of my own yet. I plan to add beeswax as I get more cappings over the next few years.

Inside tank dimension are 36" x 24" by 34" depth, and it sits 8" above the ground on a steel base, so total overall height it 42". It has a 3 inch spillway to catch any foam that may escape and we just hang a metal bucket off the peg in the picture above. I'm definitely glad we included this as it got used. It has a heat shield that sits out about 2 inches from the inner tank. We stand on a pallet while dipping so that we can get reach in and out of it easier. With this tank I can do 10 mediums at a time or 6 deeps. The interior of the tank is made entirely of stainless steel. The bottom plate is 1/4inch and the sides are 11 gauge. We then have a 16 gauge galvanized heat shield around the whole thing so that we don't burn ourselves and a 16 gauge lid that we place on it when we're done to keep dust and debris out of it. 10 mediums displace about 4-6 inches of wax in this tank. I keep the wax depth around 20-22 inches to allow for displacement and foaming. At 260-270 I was getting 6-8 inches of foam.

My propane burner I made myself using a 0-20PSI adjustable regulator, 3/4 black pipe, and a gas/air mixer, HPGX-1, from http://www.tejassmokers.com I just drilled 5/32 inch holes every half inch down the length of the 3 pipes. I used 20# propane grill tanks. I had to keep swapping tanks every 30-60 minutes because they would start to freeze up, then gas pressure would drop, and BTU output would go down. I completely emptied 2 tanks and 3 others have a little less than half left. I rotated through 4 tanks at a time so as 1 froze up, I would swap it out. With 4 tanks, by the time I got to the first one again it had warmed back up to where the pressure was good.

Took 6 hours to heat up all the wax from a solid block to 270F. I turned the burner on at 8am and we started dipping at 2pm. Stopped at 6:30pm, turned the burner off. By the next morning there was only a 1inch skin on top and it took just under 2hrs to heat it back up to 270. Next time I plan to heat it up Friday night after work so that we can get started earlier in the day on Saturday.

Man, you're not fooling around. That's a serious tank. Looks great.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Yep, that stainless is some cheap stuff. LOL I have a metal fab shop in our truck and trailer repair shop, so I am somewhat qualified to say that whoever built that tank did a fine job from what I can tell from the pictures.

Watch for smoke coming off the galvanized. You may be okay with the 2" gap but fumes from galvanized metal are nothing to take for granted.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Watch for smoke coming off the galvanized. You may be okay with the 2" gap but fumes from galvanized metal are nothing to take for granted.
    Welders fever.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements