Thread: Garden Plants

Default Garden Plants

Originally got my bees to pollinate my garden. Since then started researching plants. Has anyone had any trouble with their bees after planting store bought plants from somewhere like Lowes ?
    Wasn't sure if it would hurt them or not.

Default Re: Garden Plants

Do you mean as in hurt them from chemicals? Either way i believe it would be fine. They go to store bought plants at the stores and after people plant them. Also, only a small percentage of your foragers will actually visit YOUR plants. Store bought plants should be completely fine.

Plant away...it will be your most productive garden yet, though admittedly, I start most crops from seeds. Never had a problem though with those that I don't! As an FYI, bees LOVE Basil, and it makes for some kick butt honey, too! I remember reading somewhere, that when you get into beekeeping, you are really doing much more. We also become meteorologists, botanists, woodworkers, etc.... Have fun with your bees, and welcome!

We also become meteorologists, botanists, woodworkers, etc....
    And here I thought I was the only one that had developed an unhealthy fixation on weather patterns.
    Try it. What could happen?

I agree with BIM: In the past few weeks I have turned my yard into a Bee yard.

Planted 2 Orange Trees that bloom at different times. 1 Lemon and 1 Lime tree (Everbearing so they flower throughout the year).

Planted Borage, Comfrey and threw down a bunch of flower seeds at the edge of my property along with Pumpkin and cantaloupe.

I'm currently working on 3 separate 8X8 garden areas where I hope to plant Rosemary, Lemon Balm, Lavender, and plants like that.

So not only does my yard look nice to me, I also get to watch a few bees work plus I get Honey and fruit etc...
    Last edited by trance; 04-24-2013 at 12:41 AM.

trance: Yup!! I don't plant anything anymore that my bees can't work! Now I just have to convince the husband that his acre of St Augustine grass is useless!!! Every bush, shrub, flower, plant...now has benefits for my bees. He's getting the hang of it, though!! I don't think the St Augustine yard will go away any time soon, though....sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    trance: Yup!! I don't plant anything anymore that my bees can't work! Now I just have to convince the husband that his acre of St Augustine grass is useless!!! Every bush, shrub, flower, plant...now has benefits for my bees. He's getting the hang of it, though!! I don't think the St Augustine yard will go away any time soon, though....sigh....
    Just tell him it's less to mow

Yeah! Honey bee plants are my favorite topic now that I have started beekeeping in my backyard. Just
    finish harvesting 2 big bags of canola seeds today. Should be ready to plant after tilling the soil.
    When you goto Lowes look around the plant racks. When you see honey bees on them like lavender, etc
    then you know this plant is safe for them. Those are the one you want to buy.
    Don't forget to buy some seeds for succession planting too such as russian sage, sunflowers, thyme, catnip,
    rosemary, cucumbers, canola, and collards, etc.

I will tell you a little story about MOST (Not all) store purchased plants.

The goal is to feed and grow/trim as fast as the farmer can to get them as big and bulky as possible so that the customer will want to buy it. Some plants should not be treated this way.
    For example I live in Florida and all types of Palms are sold around here. many growers will trim back the growth so that the tree will get taller faster. Sounds fine right? Nope, what you end up with is a very skinny base/trunk at the bottom and as it grows in your yard like it should the tree is allowed to thicken out like normal so what you end up with is a skinny bottom and a thick top part of a tree. It looks a bit odd. My neighbor was continuing to do what the nursery (or store) told him to get it to grow faster until I told him the correct way, it may grow slower but looks much better.

I think it is lavender that I read last night that also shouldn't be pushed with a bunch of ferts... but I have to check my notes on that ( I researched a few plants around 3AM, not the best time for me to remember things... lol

Again, some (probably most) plants are fine to speed up while others are not. Just make sure if you're not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Don't forget to buy some seeds for succession planting too such as russian sage, sunflowers, thyme, catnip,
    rosemary, cucumbers, canola, and collards, etc.
    What month do you stop? I take it you don't let the Rosemary stay in the ground for next year or you have a lot of land?

Thanks y'all so much ! I keep reading all the stuff about GMOs an fertilizer. I agree with my yard is turning into a bee yard as well ! I'm off to lowes today !

Don't worry about the fertilizer. All growers now use synthetic fertilizers because growing organic is more expensive for them. Get the one that the bees collecting nectar/pollen all over then you will be fine. Don't get the full bloom plants but some with the buds to flower
    later on. The one season flowers are good too.

I grow all year long so no stopping for me. So many winter varieties to choose from.
    We have very nice rosemary that over winter well and will bloom in early spring
    time. They grow all year long only slower in the middle of winter on frosty days. All you have to do is to trim them back in
    the fall a bit to control how they grow. You don't need a lot of land to grow them because you're not trying to start a plant
    business. I'm only trying to grow some for my backyard bees and experiment on which one is better for them. So far borage,
    canola, and collards they like a lot. I am sure the Russian sage and Goldenrod they like to when they bloom in the fall. In
    Florida you have the Goldenrod so try to plant some if they are not available near by.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    ....Plant away... I remember reading somewhere, that when you get into beekeeping, you are really doing much more. We also become meteorologists, botanists, woodworkers, etc....
    We also become candle makers, soap makers,..................and mead makers and drinkers!

Our yard is also becoming a bee yard. I snatch up plants pretty quickly when I see honeybees on them at the store. Funny part is, we don't even have our bees yet, hopefully I will be picking up nucs soon. But until then I'm helping out some hives a few blocks over.