Default My hives seem to be off to a great start!

After getting pelted by the cow angered bees on Monday, I had been waiting until later in the week to do my 2nd full inspection. On my first inspection of my package bees I couldn't find the queen in one of the hives. I still didn't see the queen in that hive today, but there was one side of one frame filled with eggs. One egg in the center of each cell. The other side of that frame was a complete egg laying mess. There were cells with 4 and 5 eggs in them. Not just in the center, but scattered around at the base of each cell. At this point I'm hoping this just means the queen didn't have enough comb drawn to lay eggs in, since the other side of the frame was good. The other hive of package bees was nice and neat with a full frame and a half of eggs.

The bees from the collected swarm hive, the ones that chased me to the pond on Monday are still much more aggressive than the 2 package hives. These were hived, 4 days earlier than the package bees but they are way ahead (IMnoviceO) of the other 2 hives. I saw a few capped brood cells and quite a few frames of uncapped larvae. The beek that I got the swarm from does have a very hot hive, but he hasn't requeened it because they outperform all his other hives. I'm starting to wonder if my swarm came from that hot hive. Hot or not this hive has not cleaned the leaves that I got in the hive during their installation out of the bottom. I would think they would remove them, but maybe the leaves are too large.

I've been told that checking bees to often is a bad thing as it disrupts them, so I think I will allow them to do their bee thing for 2 weeks before doing another inspection. All hives had at least 5 frames left to draw. Should I inspect sooner to add another brood box or is 5 frames more than 2 weeks work for a new 3# hive?

Default Re: My hives seem to be off to a great start!

Expand the hive more when all the frames are covered with bees at 85%. By this time all
    the frames should be fully drawn out. When deciding to add another box, we are trying to assess their population first.

Thanks. I don't know why I hadn't thought about the bee population in the hive. I guess the number of frames of comb doesn't have that much to do with it. There would have to be enough bees to cover brood if the queen did lay in all the frames so I guess it would be counterproductive to expand before needed?

Yes, that is why beekeeper use nucs to grow their hives. That way they heat up the combs and
    air space better. Eighty-five percent was what my bee mentor told me. When I balance out my
    hives I would put in an extra frame or young nurse bees to another hive that has less bees. This
    way their broods will not get chill.