Default first package install went pretty smooth

Went well i think. First time. syrup can was still about half full. No stings. Removed 3 frames.. Put queen cage face down in the middle with cork removed. Dumped some bees on the queen, the rest in the open spaflce from removed frames... Gently replaced 2/3 removed frames. Top cover. Feeder. Lid. Now its just hard to not bother them... They started fanning by the entrance (reduced). After a few minutes they started pushing out dead bees. Hope they are good to go... I must say, first install ever, dumping thousands of bees out of a box is a bit intense lol.. First time ive ever had bees walking on my bare hand and just ignored them and went about my business... Was awesome

Default Re: first package install went pretty smooth

Glad to hear you had a good experience with your first install. Sounds like it was a success. These packaged bees are quite docile for the most part. They tend to check you out at first... then poop all over the place!
    Send along some pics ASAP. The girls don't mind having their pics taken.
    I installed these yesterday.
    0425131457.jpg

It is intense isn't it. Pouring out these flying insects and them not going where we need them to go. My husband kept telling me they were "getting away". As if there was a way for me to stop them, it was like a circus gone crazy, but it was a blast of fun at the same time. We walk away with a real sense of accomplishment. I remember dropping the queen cage right into the midst of the mess of bees I had just "poured" into my Top Bar. I had to reach my bare hand in and retrieve her, no stings, and many thrills later she is safely placed in the correct stop. Too much fun!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
    www.southerncoloradobeekeepers.com

Will do with some pics... It was fun.. Alot more fun than dumping a box of bees out next to myself than i ever thought possible lol... Luckily i didnt drop the queen cage, that might have been a bit much sticking my hand in a pile of bees for my first bee experience.. It was very cool, but i kinda wish i would have gotta 1 sting. I havent been stung since i was a little kid and id much rather my first inevitable sting be now as opposed to while holding a frame covered in bees... Oh well, reckon it'll happen soon enough.. Was an awesome experience. And your right about the poop, i didnt see that coming i must say.. The little women had alot of poop on her lol.. Good times

I would have dumped the bees in first, then put the queen on top of the pile of bees. If the queen runs out of the cage before there are bees in there, she is much more likely to fly...

Glad it went well. Bees are fairly smart and usually sort things out.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

I left her in the cage mr bush.. Shortly after the install i read your article about no point in leaving her in the cage, but i figured i better leave them alone once i had it all closed up.. I figure saturday i will make sure she got out of the cage ok

Is it cold at night? If so I would release her now. She could be abandoned on the bottom and die.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

I have her wedged facing down between a couple frames.. Its beautiful out today (finally) .. Think i should let her out after work??

Has it been three days already?
    Checking mine tomorrow.