Default Ants, Ants and more Ants

Does anyone have ideas on what to do about the ants that are invading my hive top feeder? Is this anything to worry about?

Default Re: Ants, Ants and more Ants

If all the ants are doing is eating the syrup, then your only loss is whatever syrup they eat. If they are getting into the hive and eating honey, then that may make you really mad!

One option is to make it more difficult for ants to get to the hive in the first place. Here's one option:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ctually-Works!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Sprinkle cinnamon liberally around the hive and on the stand. Reapply every so often or immediately after a rain.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

What kind of ants? We have the Argentine ants here, not much deters them for me except a good dousing of ortho home defense. If they're not bothering the bees I don't really mind, but the ants here go into the hive in mass and it's just disruptive as the bees get agitated and will shut down if it's too many.

The ants are the tiny "sugar ants" as I call them. I do not see them in the hive, but just a steady stream on the outside and in the feeder on top of the hive. I will try all the above ideas. I guess at this point it is more of a nuisance to me than the bees.
    Thanks.

Last year I had the same type of ants. They actually started to nest under the top cover. I got a couple of "Ant Traps", little round unit with holes in them that have ant poison. I laid these on the ground near the hive, covered them with a board, (this leaves just enough room for ants but bees cannot get to the traps.) and now no more ants at all. I've seen on the forums that some folks say that ants under a screened bottom hive are good as they eat all mites that drop on the ground.
    Dave

I was having a problem with ants, I sprinkled cinnamon around the hive and under the top cover the ants were gone the next day. I followed up with metal stands built for all my hives with the legs of the stands set down in cans of oil. so far no more ants. there was a few dead bees in my oil cans but not that many will keep an eye on this

Hope are they getting to your feeder? My hives are on cinder blocks

I have my hives on blocks, but the ants come up the blocks after the feeder, but they look like they are going into the hives too....two of mine are new hives with small bee population, and I am afraid they will make the bees abscond or eat honey etc....ants are real bad around here this year already, had them in my greenhouse and around my house and seeing mounds in the grass....just those pesky black ants...

Build wooden stands cost u $20. Then put each leg in a soup can an fill with veggie oil.