Question Nuc and Queen sell

Brought my nuc Saturday morning it was cool, so just put them in 8 frame deep plus in frame feeder. Checked on them to day, the queen is laying a good pattern and I have eggs open and sealed brood .All looks good except for the queen cell that is in middle of one of the frames.It has royal jelly and lava in it.I think That I should leave it , and let them raise another queen . The queen was suppose to be new queen and marked. I found her and she looks good. What do you think?

Default Re: Nuc and Queen sell

Bees dont make queens for ha has. She's injured, being superseded or the nuc was so full they started getting rdy to swarm. If the nuc was heavy when u got it, it was likely full and if you get a 2nd nuc then you will likely be able to have 2 full hives this summer. One of my nuc last year have swarm cells when I got it and it weighed 30-40lbs.

Its now that heavy,I think some thing is wrong with queen. No swarm cells on bottom of frames ,just that supercedure cell in middle of brood nest.

Quote Originally Posted by keswickb View Post
    Brought my nuc Saturday morning it was cool, so just put them in 8 frame deep plus in frame feeder. Checked on them to day, the queen is laying a good pattern and I have eggs open and sealed brood .All looks good except for the queen cell that is in middle of one of the frames.It has royal jelly and lava in it.I think That I should leave it , and let them raise another queen . The queen was suppose to be new queen and marked. I found her and she looks good. What do you think?
    That is hard to say,

One would think it is not a swarm cell. But I have seen a single queen cell in the middle of the frame... then have them swarm a few days later. Not typical, but it has happened to me. Since you stated the nuc is not heavy, I would doubt it is a swarm cell. I would be inclined to leave it, like TheBuzz said, they have a reason. One note, it is fairly common for Russians and to a lesser extent Carnis to make queen cells.

Shane

We make the same comment several times a season, but it doesn't seem to stick.

Supersedure is normal for 1st year colonies. I think the trait is embossed on their genes and shows up as instinct. It can be traced back to their heritage. The natural swarm left the parent colony with an overwintered queen - possibly more that a year old. As an insurance measure, when they approach establishment, the queen is superseded - better probability of wintering.
    Even overwintered nucs often supersede. When given larger space like a full deep, some drop back into the establishment mode - their brood nest is not proportional to the cavity size.
    Early supersedure of a package is not the same scenario. Sometimes the package does not really like the stranger in the little cage shipped with them. They may give her temporary approval to gain some eggs to supersede. Then knock her in the head.

To repeat: Supersedure of first-year colonies is NORMAL.

Walt

Don't destroy queen cells! Let he bees do their thing.
    You may consider taking the queen and a frame of bees and a frame of honey and pollen and start another nuc, leaving the queen cell to hatch and become a mated queen. If it doesn't work out just combine the two back together again.
    Just some thoughts.

If it's real heavy they may be beginning to swarm too. Get a nuc and some extra frames asap, try a split and if it doesn't work put the 2 back together.