Hybrid View

Default Beginners first Inspection

Critique wanted.

Thanks,

Steve

Default Re: Beginners first Inspection

You did fine, everyone will have a different opinion on what you should and shouldn't do have do, so heres my two cent.
    You could have used about 90% less smoke, with a package I wouldn't use any smoke.
    Moving smooth and steady is important, but you really don't need to be so tentative.
    Bee keeping is a great hobby, you will learn each time you open the hive, enjoy the time you spend with your bees. You will continue to become more comfortable each time you open the hive. Take your time and watch them, see what they do, and how they respond to there hive being open.
    If for some reason they are doing some things that are making you nervous, just close the hive and come back another day. The best thing about a package is that you have a small number of bees to work with at first.
    Keep up the good work.

Not painting the bodies? Do you have the entrance reduced to 1-2"s too? With no comb and no place to lay eggs you wanna minimize they're need to defend vs robbers or predators such as yellow jackets.

Thanks Slee after watching my video I thought I might be using to much smoke. I'll knock it way back next time.

Buzz, Yes I'm painting the bodies. The top one wasn't painted as it was just to protect the can of syrup I had on top. I have taken it off and am going to paint all the extra boxes I have so they will be ready when I need to add them. Look at the end of the video were I zoomed into the entrance. I would say it's about 1.5" or so.