Default Restocking dead hives

Last year was my first year with bees. I lost 3 hives over the winter. No diseases. I have two packages coming and have lots of full honey frames and some drawn out empty comb to use. How many frames of honey would you put in the brood box and how many empty frames? Should 5 of each, 50-50 be right? Hoping to give these bees a good leg up on getting established.

Thanks

Default Re: Restocking dead hives

I'm thinking that you should run eight frames drawn and two full frames of honey (one on each end) on the outsides.

i've never installed a package, so i don't know how many frames of bees a package takes up.

if your pollen and nectar flow has started when you get your bees, i think beeman's suggestion would be about right. you'll want to give them room to store pollen and build a broodnest.

if might be worth extracting some of your honey frames to give you enough empty comb.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

A package will take up about 6 frames pretty well. Be sure to feed them as that honey is not very valuable to them for rearing brood. Keeps them alive just fine, but they will be honeybound real quick

Thank you for the insight and advice. I appreciate the help.