Default My new hive & location ???'s

3 lb package arrives May 3rd...i think this is a good thing for Montana. It's still awfully cold and it snowed 4 inches just a couple of days ago. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....

anyways, i have them located in the southeast corner of my lawn between my two pie cherry trees...with the entrances facing the south....is that best how it is now? or should i flip it around so the entrance is NOT facing my neighbor's yard/fence?

thanks and happy beekeeping
    Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

Default Re: My new hive & location ???'s

No point in the entrance facing south if it is in the northern shadow of that fence so I'd flip it around--or move it out far enough that the southern sun hits the face of the hive. Also note that the shade from the structures in front of the hive will extend further into your yard when the sun is low in the southern sky (winter). So where the sun hits now may be fence/building shade in the dead of winter. Sun exposure is really the only reason you consider placement. Perhaps facing east is better so they get the morning sun in the winter if you can't move it out 10-20 ft?

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    No point in the entrance facing south if it is in the northern shadow of that fence so I'd flip it around--or move it out far enough that the southern sun hits the face of the hive. Also note that the shade from the structures in front of the hive will extend further into your yard when the sun is low in the southern sky (winter). So where the sun hits now may be fence/building shade in the dead of winter. Sun exposure is really the only reason you consider placement. Perhaps facing east is better so they get the morning sun in the winter if you can't move it out 10-20 ft?
    my idea for the placement was this location offers lots of morning sun and evening shade and it's right between two cherry trees and bunch of lilacs. i think it's sun exposure is pretty darn good...given the details of the yard. my only concern is does the entrance need to face that way or just the hive for exposure? or should i flip it 90 degrees or even 45? they're flight of entry is into my neighbor's yard.....

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
    Zone4A

I think east or south, but sun exposure for the entrance is probably best. In the north winter warming and not being shaded are going to be optimal, my 2 cents.

Hank

In that case I'd flip 90 degrees to face east so they get the morning sun and keep the hive on the line where the back currently is. That seems best but I'd have to live in your place a year and watch the seasons to give fool-proof advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    In that case I'd flip 90 degrees to face east so they get the morning sun and keep the hive on the line where the back currently is. That seems best but I'd have to live in your place a year and watch the seasons to give fool-proof advice.
    awesome.

gotcha man.

thanks for the help and advice
    Zone4A