Hybrid View

Default Day 2 of Pkge Install-Newbee

I installed 2 packages yesterday afternoon...direct release. They seem to be content and busy at this time. It is supposed to rain Sat and Sun so should I go in Friday to move the false back and refill the feeder if necessary or wait. All suggestions welcome.

Default Re: Day 2 of Pkge Install-Newbee

Not knowing your set up, you can probably pop the lid off and check/top off your feeder without disturbing them much, if at all. Assuming you're brand new at this (I'm only in my 3d year and have NOT had my single hive make it through a whole winter, so I could be completely wrong... never do something solely because I suggest it!), you will want to get into your hives all the time to see what they're doing. Resist that. :-) But on the other hand, you should be going in often enough to see them, learn their ways, what cells look like with their various content (pollen, eggs - if you can find them, larvae, capped workers, drones and honey) learn how you can help them prosper, and get a feel for managing them in a TBH. They're definitely NOT 'set and forget'.

Learn, watch, participate... enjoy.

I did! Mine completely ignored this large hand stuck in their midst to get their feeder refilled. I did this during the middle of the day, when it was supposed to be warmest part of day and long before the barometric pressure started to drop.

OK day 4. I am going in to replace the feeder, pick up the queen cage and move the false back. From all the info i read, I will also probably do it midday today. The hives look busy so I am assuming all is well. Wish me luck and I will update the thread when I am done.

JOANR:
    Why are you moving the false back?

I read that after 4 to 7 days it is time to move the false back to the back. I think if they think the hive is too small they will leave. They should have started drawing comb in the front.