Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Did a mite count, got 8-9 in 1 cup of bees! HELP!

Perfect....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Ok! Do you guys glove up when messing with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Waites View Post
    Ok! Do you guys glove up when messing with this stuff?
    Good thick dish washing gloves work for me.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

It's 74 degrees here. Is that too hot to apply MAQS?

No, but llok out for sunshine and hot temps. Its 80+ in the hive... Try to keep them shaded if temps are going any higher. The problem is if you have DWV its highly contagious, and very bad for a hive, worse than the brood loss from MAQS..... if your real nervous, put your queens in a single frame nuc while you treat, then put just the queen back when done.. you get a break in brood and the MAQS perks.... then leave the singles as a walk away, or combine a cpl of them as walk aways.

Charlie

What's the weather forecast for the next week? That's important if using MAQS. VERY temperature sensitive! Hopguard is not temp sensitive. MAQS can be hard on brood and queens if it gets too warm outside.

There is a how to in the diseases and pests section on the use of MAQS. It's a sticky and at the top of the section. I've used MAQS and will be using it anymore due to temp sensitivity and queen issues. I also don't think it's as effective as it needs to be. I used it side by side with another method last year in the same yard and the MAQS performed worse then the other method.

If you're seeing DWV AND the inspector is saying you should be treating, the obvious answer to your question is yes, you should treat. The same answer I gave several days ago.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

Ok thanks. I think I'm going to use Hop Guard so it's not too rough on my brood.

I've noticed in beekeeping there are many different methods to achieve the same result. Some however work better then others. Some use powder sugar shakes to kill mites, some only to do a mite count, some use chems, some don't. Etc.

Even I will say "go ahead with the chemical assault" if the inspector told you to treat, AND you have DWV... If it were my personal hive, I'd still probably try other things, but it's not my hive & I'm not there to check on the progress of an "alternative treatment" in your hive, so I'll vote "treat" on this one (well, treat now, then look into other methods to keep the mite count down once treating gets them under control in the first place)

Ok thanks. I think I'm going to use Hop Guard so it's not too rough on my brood.
    Hopguard will not bother your brood.... nor will it bother the mites in the brood (About 50% of the mite population)..... you need a brood break... you have DWV.... no time to use phoretic miticides.

I only saw one bee with messed up wings. It's not the whole hive.

And what's a brood break?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Come on Charley you where one of us.
    You know I haven't treated with anything other than powdered sugar for 5 years & my winter loss numbers are lower than most members of my club. Its a little more than luck.
    I don't consider those who treat with powdered sugar to be treatment free.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post

My own feeling is that someone who seems to be consistently lucky is probably relying on something other than luck.

I don't think the available evidence supports this view.
    If the hive has bees with DWV at this time of year..I would agree that hive will surely die unless something is done.

I only saw one bee with messed up wings. It's not the whole hive.
    The Virus is there.... there are more.

And what's a brood break?
    When the queen stops laying for a period of time, thus emptying the brood chamber and allowing the incubating mites to die..... It breaks the generation to generation flow of the mites.

So your saying I need to move her out?

Quote Originally Posted by rbees View Post
    If the hive has bees with DWV at this time of year..I would agree that hive will surely die unless something is done.
    Well, most hives will die eventually.

I'm only a few miles away from the original poster. I installed a local nuc about 6 weeks ago. In the first few days after installation, I saw 2 bees crawling around in front of the hive with DWV. I was pretty worried.

That hive is booming, and I've seen no more DWV. It's gone from a 5 frame nuc to 17 frames in that 6 weeks and it is chock full of healthy bees.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm glad I didn't treat. It may be that the hive will die later in the year, and if it does I won't be surprised. I do plan to make the hive go through a brood break at some point before fall. I'm in the learning phase, and expect to lose bees. It's part of my self-education.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post

I'm only a few miles away from the original poster. I installed a local nuc about 6 weeks ago. In the first few days after installation, I saw 2 bees crawling around in front of the hive with DWV. I was pretty worried.
    Are you sure it was DWV? And not just damaged wings from a bee fight. His DWV was ided by the inspector if I remember correctly. Are you not a newbee?

If the colony had DWV it would not heal itself.

So your saying I need to move her out?
    No the MAQS will shut her down for a period of time.

I suppose you could use hopguard and put the Queen in a queenless nuc for a coupla weeks.... but this kind of manipulation seems a bit too much for a newbee.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Are you sure it was DWV? And not just damaged wings from a bee fight. His DWV was ided by the inspector if I remember correctly. Are you not a newbee?
    I am, but I've seen a hundred photos of DWV (mostly after I saw these bees and got panicky.) These were definitely DWV, with the wings shriveled and crumpled. It's a very distinctive look, and I examined these bees under a scope.

If the colony had DWV it would not heal itself.
    Most hives have mites, so probably most hives have DWV. Not all will eventually collapse, according to my research.

It's my impression, from the research I've done, that numerous DWV bees is often a sign of a hive nearing collapse from a mite overload, rather than a disease like the foulbroods that will get out of hand if ignored. Obviously that didn't happen in my case, at least not yet. According to Michael Bush, if I remember accurately, finding a bee or two with DWV is not something to get too excited about. The theory I find most plausible is that this is a opportunistic virus that primarily affects bees weakened by mites or other stressors.

Of course, I am a newbee, so I could be completely wrong. But it doesn't matter, because I'm not going to treat for mites. So we'll see. There has been no more DWV as far as I can tell, and the hive is booming. If it were an infection that inevitably kills a hive, the hive would not be thriving, or so it seems to me.

No the MAQS will shut her down for a period of time.

I suppose you could use hopguard and put the Queen in a queenless nuc for a coupla weeks.... but this kind of manipulation seems a bit too much for a newbee.
    I'm ok with that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast