Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Did a mite count, got 8-9 in 1 cup of bees! HELP!

I officially registered my hives and had the inspector out yesterday...I've got Varroa! We did a rubbing alcohol with about a cup or more of bees and strained the liquid to find about 8 varroa! We are in our honey flow here, what are some safe products to use? I have the quick strips although I'm hesitant to use them during honey flow...the inspector mentioned Hop guard treatment but I'm worried after doing some reading about bees absconding and brood loss...any suggestions?

- Jared

Default Re: Did a mite count, got 8-9 in 1 cup of bees! HELP!

I've never heard of bees absconding from Hopguard. I say try that or Apivar ..or let them go bond (die)

Sounds like there doing okay, even with a High count. let the flow pass, then MQS or apivar (I like MQS cause its fast) the ready for later flows.

I read that varroa are naturally repelled by the nectar from the Cilantro/Coriander flower. If you're concerned about using chemicals in your hive, then that might be an "organic" method you could try...give them plenty of cilantro/coriander (same plant, 2 names) to forage on, or maybe get a few drops of the essential oil, put on a cotton ball, and leave it in the hive?

If you have bad varroa problems, though, then I'm not sure it's the best time to experiment with unproven organic treatments. I probably still would, but I have other hives I can pull nucs from to replace my losses if "the organic method" fails on me.

From what I've read, powdered sugar doesn't affect mites in the cells, but might it not get some of the mites to drop off the bees and help get them through the flow?

(just speculating and pondering here)
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Best to wait until the flow is over. Randy Oliver recommends treatment before August 15th here in California.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I don't think you need to panic. The alcohol wash normally is done with 1/3 cup of bees so with 1 cup of bees you only have 9 mites/900 bees or a 1% infestation.

I would recommend to remove any supers, do a flash treatment with the quick strips and then add supers. By leaving mites on the bees your hive will be full of viruses by the time its August.

Quote Originally Posted by JD's Bees View Post
    I don't think you need to panic. The alcohol wash normally is done with 1/3 cup of bees so with 1 cup of bees you only have 9 mites/900 bees or a 1% infestation.
    Agree. The threshold for mites is 3%, 3 mites per 100 bees. JD right, you have mild infestation. Again, in my opinion, the absolute number is not telling much. You need to see a dynamic - are your numbers steady or growing or decline
    Also - do not panic, most of the bees in US have some mites. Am I right?

Irresponsible treatment could just create mite-resistance.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Sorry for not responding. I wasn't getting notifications. Fixed that. Anyhow the bee inspector said it was time to treat due to deformed wing virus and recommended hopsguard. Said it was safe for use during the flow. We are in nectar now but it only gets better into July. Then seems to slow a little until Fall. We make honey just about year round here!

So now knowing that my bees have DWV. Should I treat?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Waites View Post
    So now knowing that my bees have DWV. Should I treat?
    Yes.

To me, DWV means a pretty serious and evil bunch of mites and I would want to do something fast. Hopguard seems too iffy and weak.. at least IMHO... and I would use MAQS if the temp. range in FL is right.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Oh yeah. What the heck is MAQS?

Oh yeah. What the heck is MAQS?
    Mite away quick strips

It's 74 degrees here. Is that too hot to apply MAQS?

Perfect....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

It's 74 degrees here. Is that too hot to apply MAQS?

No, but llok out for sunshine and hot temps. Its 80+ in the hive... Try to keep them shaded if temps are going any higher. The problem is if you have DWV its highly contagious, and very bad for a hive, worse than the brood loss from MAQS..... if your real nervous, put your queens in a single frame nuc while you treat, then put just the queen back when done.. you get a break in brood and the MAQS perks.... then leave the singles as a walk away, or combine a cpl of them as walk aways.

Charlie

What's the weather forecast for the next week? That's important if using MAQS. VERY temperature sensitive! Hopguard is not temp sensitive. MAQS can be hard on brood and queens if it gets too warm outside.

There is a how to in the diseases and pests section on the use of MAQS. It's a sticky and at the top of the section. I've used MAQS and will be using it anymore due to temp sensitivity and queen issues. I also don't think it's as effective as it needs to be. I used it side by side with another method last year in the same yard and the MAQS performed worse then the other method.

If you're seeing DWV AND the inspector is saying you should be treating, the obvious answer to your question is yes, you should treat. The same answer I gave several days ago.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

Ok! Do you guys glove up when messing with this stuff?

Ok! Do you guys glove up when messing with this stuff?
    Good thick dish washing gloves work for me.

Ok thanks. I think I'm going to use Hop Guard so it's not too rough on my brood.

I've noticed in beekeeping there are many different methods to achieve the same result. Some however work better then others. Some use powder sugar shakes to kill mites, some only to do a mite count, some use chems, some don't. Etc.