Default Checrboard or all drawn to start a hive?

I am preparing to install some packages into some new hives this Spring. I have drawn frames from honey supers that I was going to use to start the package. I planned on placing 10 drawn into the hive and then let them start working it into what they wanted. I have heard the term, "checkerboard". I assume this is alternating frames in a hive with 1 drawn frame then 1 frame of foundation, then another of drawn, and so on.

Is this what checkerboarding is?

In your experiences, what is the better way to start a new hive, alternating 5 drawn with 5 frames of foundation, or 10 all drawn frames? Thanks, juzzer

Default Re: Checrboard or all drawn to start a hive?

Checkerboarding is a swarm prevention technique, you do not need to worry about it now. As far as drawn or foundation goes, it depends on what you need. If you need drawn frames then this is a good time to get it done, if not 10 frames of drawn would be awfully nice for a package. Don't believe you could go wrong either way.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

It's not checkerboarding as hpm08161947 said... In the brood nest it works ok. In the honey supers it's a bad idea. In the brood nest combs are of consistent thickness. In the honey supers they will draw out the drawn comb thicker and not draw the foundation. Then you can't get the frames out because the combs extend into the space of the next frame that isn't drawn...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It's not checkerboarding as hpm08161947 said...
    Did I say that? Better reread my own post.

He is talking about a brood nest right.... after all he is shaking bees....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

>>>> I assume this is alternating frames in a hive with 1 drawn frame then 1 frame of foundation, then another of drawn, and so on.
    >>>>Is this what checkerboarding is?
    >>>Checkerboarding is a swarm prevention technique
    >>It's not checkerboarding as hpm08161947 said...
    >Did I say that? Better reread my own post.

Are you saying it IS checkerboarding? I was pretty sure you were saying it wasn't. At any rate I'M saying it's NOT checkerboarding and I thought I was agreeing with you.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post

Are you saying it IS checkerboarding? I was pretty sure you were saying it wasn't. At any rate I'M saying it's NOT checkerboarding and I thought I was agreeing with you.
    Got it..... just a little matter of a missing commma:
    It's not checkerboarding, as hpm08161947 said
    Taking my "SQTCRK" hat off....

yea... we are in agreement.

Sorry. As the Tee shirt says...

"Let's eat grandma"
    "Let's eat, grandma"

Commas save lives...

Checkerboarding is a technique developed by Walt Wright that deals with nectar management. (I have the paper I purchased from Walt somewhere)

You can not use foundation in the technique as Walt describes it.

A nice side benefit of the technique is that hives that have been checkerboarded tend not to swarm. It is somewhat of a chicken and eggs thing. Populous hives with strong field forces are what is needed to make bountiful honey crops and those are the hives that are most likely to swarm.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com