Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Where is pollen coming from

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  juzzerbee 
#1 ·
I was observing my bees the other day and noticed they were bringing back a bunch of yellow pollen. What is strange here in WI nothing is blooming yet. The trees havn't even broken their buds. Any ideas where they might be finding the pollen?

#5 ·
Great links, I found the answer to what pollen is blue in my area of Wisconsin that my bees were bringing in. Siberian Squill. I couldn't find it on the chart, but saw the exact same color and shaped pollen in one of the images of what my bee came back home with.

Not much "appears" to be blooming here in southern Wisconsin, but my bees have been proving that wrong. About every 5th bee has had pollen, but only 1 "detective bee" came back with the blue pollen. Who knows maybe my bees found an M&M plant in my area like what made the news last year in another part of the world!!!:banana:

#7 ·
Juzzerbee, it may be that there were no readings for the particular day, but if you click on most recent levels, it will show you what was the last levels/reading, and of what. I would love to see the ladies with blue pollen (not from M & M), I have never seen this.

#8 ·
As always, I should have taken my camera along. Tonight is, sit at the hives and wait. I want a picture if it isn't too common, at least in my area. It really caught my eye. It noticed that the pollen was on her in little platelet shapes instead of the common round/oval style that the others had. Anyone have an idea of why the pollen was attached in a different shape? Take a look at this link, scroll down and on the right is a picture of a bee with the blue pollen on her. It looked exactly like the one in the Siberian Squill picture. It very well could have been something different than that, maybe that plant only grows in Siberia, Ha! I will do a bit more searching. juzzer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.