Question Hive Vanishing Act

Just when everything seemed fine it took a wrong turn. I started 2 packages last May. Both were fine going into winter. They both were in 2 deeps and a medium left on full of stores. I checked on them throughout the winter by eye and ear and they were fine. During these warmer days early in spring they were out flying around like normal. I made a quick inspection last week and looked in bottom 2 deeps w/o pulling frames and they had good amounts of bees in both hives. I finally had time I could do a deep frame by frame inspection today. When I opened up the one hive it looked ok until I got into the bottom deep. There were no capped brood, no larva, no eggs, no dead bees, nothing?? I am just baffled. Looks like they just up and left. The other hive was doing good with capped brood, larva, and eggs. I just observed bees bringing pollen into this empty hive within the past 2 weeks. Also had top entrances on these hives which has led to some robbing by the other hive it appeared. It looks like there are still bees left from this hive in there but was hard to tell with apparent robbing going on. Any ideas what happened??

Default Re: Hive Vanishing Act

Just like you said there is an apparent robbing going on here. A swarm and robbing a hive almost looks the same if you are inexperienced. If no bees or in lesser amount I would say they had swarmed on you. Everything is fine during the warm days until now. Is one half of your bees from this hive gone? If still some bees left then these are the ones that did not swarm but decided to stay to rebuild the hive.
    So where do they went if no sign of dead bees anywhere? Only way is swarming I would say so. Can you find a virgin queen in there? Do you know what to do next in this case?

Checked things this morning and knocked on the hive and sounds like there are several bees still in there. When i looked at the frames yesterday there were no swarm cells either.

Did you get a chance to open it today to see if they were building queen cells from the eggs you gave them? Sorry I didn't call today I spent longer at a trap out location than I intended

If no bees in the hive at all, or just a hand full, this is CCD. Colony Collapse hit a bunch of people this year. It seems like it might be a pesticide in the food that makes them loose their minds and forget how and where to fly. If they were inside eating and doing fine because of the cold, and now can fly to start to collect for the first time in months, they might have gone so far from their hive that they forget how to get back.

Bees typical stay on the 2nd deep during winter and may likely not have stored enough to get to/need the bottom yet.

I did check on Sunday and there is still several bees in there. They were beginning to store pollen on a couple frames. The frame of eggs and capped brood I transferred a week earlier from another hive didn't appear to have any queen cells built. So I'm not sure what to think?? But there are enough bees to keep it going for sure. Just need to get on figuring this queen situation out quick.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    they might have gone so far from their hive that they forget how to get back.

Huh? I'll try that one on the Mrs. the next time I come home VERY late...............
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

are you seeing any drones hatched yet? I just saw my first drones this weekend in the hive, but I haven't seen any flying yet. you could have a virgin queen that is waiting on the drones to fly and that is why you are seeing no eggs/ larva and they are not building queen cells on any eggs.

wait I went and re-read your post, have you not found any eggs or brood at all, or just not in the bottom deep?

There are zero eggs and brood. The only eggs and brood it had was from the frame I put in a week ago. The other hive has drones hatching out. I saw a few when I inspected it this weekend.