Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default keeping a package in the house for 2 days?

My first bee package is set to **** today.. The weather yesterday was perfect for an install.. Tomorrow and thursday not so much. Friday is looking good in the mid to upper 50's however.. Will it cause a problem to keep the bees in the house for a couple days or should we just go ahead and install when they arrive?? Probably arrive with temps mid 40's with a chilly wind.. And if it is ok to keep them in the house, should we just pop a hole into the syrup can sent with them and fill it with warm sugar water to sustain them?? Any advice would be appreciated

Default Re: keeping a package in the house for 2 days?

*ship

Personally, I would install them under the less than optimum conditions you describe.

But if you want to wait a few days, the packages should be OK indoors. A cool, dark place would be best. You can check the weight of the syrup can by lifting it slightly without removing it. However, don't put a hole in the exposed surface of the can (as it sits in the package), as that will release the vacuum that keeps the syrup in the can!

P.S. You can edit your original post after it is already posted if you discover an _embarassing_ mistake or want to change it. Look for the "Edit Post" button.

Note that the "Edit Post" button is only available for somewhere around 24 hours after the original post. After that, only a moderator can edit the post. And no, I am not a moderator.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 04-23-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: demonstration of editing a post
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Vacuum keeps the syrup from pouring out of the bottom of the can. If you pop a hole in the top of the can, it'll trickle out onto the bees. You could pop a hole, quickly fill, then stop up the hole, but you will get a lot of soaked, sticky bees while you're doing that. You can lightly mist the bees with syrup a couple times a day if you really have to. The longer they're in there, the more stressed they'll be.

We did this last year. I put the packages in the guest bath tub and sprayed the screen with 2:1 sugar syrup several times a day. You do not have to wet the bees, just spray the screen on both sides of the box.
    Dave

You can keep them in the package as long as you make sure they don't starve. But 40s is a good time to install them. They will not drift much at all...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

See my recent experience: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...nstall-Results

I say wait until Friday. Keep them cool and in the dark. As mentioned be careful about puncturing the feeder can - you could easily cause a real mess.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I've kept bees in the barn or the shop or the garage for a few days but if it were me, I'd probably just go ahead and hive them.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Good call on the can vaccuum, that hadnt occured to me.. Glad i asked.. I guess i will make a judgement call when they arrive.. Maybe the wind will die down and the sun will come out for a few minutes

I would be very careful about opening up the packages in the house. When I opened mine (removed the wooden piece covering the can) yesterday, there was not a good seal around the can or queen box and bees poured out. I don't know that yours would, but you never know.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I picked up mine yesterday...nice and sunny and warm got home after dark. Today ick...rain and 40. I will spray the screens on mine as mentioned. Tomorrow it will be 50 and sunny, I will install in the afternoon.

I picked mine up at the same place you did Stanger. Mine are in the basement until Friday. They have enough to sustain them until then. Friday is supposed to be 60.

Where in Michigan are you Stranger. I know bee's were delivered to Holland last night but the weather your talking about seems a day behind what we are having on the Lake Michigan side. Tues was bad but wed will be a really good day
    Last edited by danno; 04-24-2013 at 07:59 AM.

I think I see the sun...

I was forced (due to weather) to keep 7 pkg's in my shop (60 deg.) for a week. They had been in the box for a total of 9 days. I refilled the cans when needed. And lightly sprayed them with syrup three times a day. Five of them came through perfectly, and the other two were slightly set back. They have been in their new homes for a cold week now and all seem to be doing well. Night before last was 13 deg. but today I see a few dandelions.

stanger,
    i just checked my bees that i got from don, syrup cans are empty. feed your bees till you can hive them.

hived two packages to night, from Don, and both cans where about empty.

They can warm themselves in a cluster and have space to move above too please they can take cleansing flights.

We are in the thumb of michigan.. Little nothing town called applegate, about a mile off the lake.. Tommorow is scheduled to have a high of 49 with on and off rain.. I think when i get home from work i will hive them, feed them, and let them do their bee thing. I think they will be alright.. After tomorrow the weather is going to actually be spring like

I like a little rain on install day it keeps the bees from flying. A lot of folks are worried about the temp then spray them with water I can never understand that wet bees are cold bees.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape