Default Need guidance for building a pollen trap

I'm pretty new to beekeeping, and I find that building my own equipment can be a lot of added fun. I've observed my bees bringing a LOT of pollen into the hive, and want to build my own pollen trap. I've read to use 5 mesh screen. The only thing I've found is stainless steel with .041 diameter wire. So, 5 wires per inch gives .200 spacing, and .041 wire leaves an opening of .159 for the bees to enter through. Is this really enough? Or do I need to find screen with smaller diameter wire? And where can I find it?

Second question: The design I've seen requires cutting a slot in the top of a hive body for the bees to enter. I'm thinking to design it so that after going through the screen, they can go down and use the normal entrance at the bottom board. Is this faulty thinking? They wouldn't be able to see that entrance through the screen, is the only possible drawback I can see.

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Need guidance for building a pollen trap

sk47...welcome to beesource...as far as pollen traps are concerned...check out sundance pollen traps...they work very well..i used 3 that i made myself and 3 from sundance and the sundances had collected over 4 times as much....greg

I purchased a Sundance top mounted pollen trap a couple years ago and was not happy with it, so I tossed it up on the shelf and built my own which works much, much better. I found the Sundance trap took the bees way too long to get used to, in fact they never got used to it. I built a simple bottom board entrance trap out of wood, for the trap itself I took a leftover piece of vinyl siding and drilled rows of holes all through it. I can't remember the size of bit I used right now, but it was perfect. Just about every bee lost its load of pollen unless they were very small loads, those were able to slip by. The pollen fell into a small tray which I had to keep an eye on and empty frequently. The trap is not rainproof either. I would only trap for about 4 hours in the morning and then take the trap off the rest of the day, I had about 6 of these traps going every day and I was quite amazed at how much pollen I would get every day. John

Thanks Greg and John,
    I was also thinking of drilling a piece of plastic - seems like that would be easier on the bees than holes drilled through metal. And, cheaper than buying metal screen wire. The only 5 mesh screen I've found is rather expensive.

Your two experiences are completly different, so it makes sense to me to buy one and build one, and compare myself. John, do you think the holes you drilled were about 3/16 inch (.19)?
    Thanks again!

I'll have to check on the drill size I used, seems like it was ?/64's, will let you know when I find out. John