Default Very small queen cells

Just did a hive inspection on a hive that was doing fine a couple of weeks ago. Bees were agitated, capped brood was in lower box, no egg or larvae. On several frames there were about a total of six or eight very small queen cells spread over a few frames. They were more than queen cups but a poor attempt to build queen cells the size I am used to. Is this just a sign of too early in the season for No. Idaho and not a lot of resources?

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

Default Re: Very small queen cells

im only a 3rd year beekeeper, are you sure it is not a big drone cell? 100% sure?

Yes, absolutely sure. Not just a larger cell like a drone, but a miniature queen cell like a small peanut shell.

Drone cells often protrude oddly as they will build them wherever they can. The give away is that they are horizontal. A queen cell is vertical. It seems early for swarming where you are, it seems more likely to be a supersedure but even that would be kind of early I would think. Are there drones flying?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My healthy hives are way ahead of normal schedule this year. Pretty mild winter and I have had drone cells and plenty of drones already hatched in my overwintered hives. This particular hive was fine a few weeks ago since I did an inspection and noted it was ready to move to one of my out yards. Again, these cells are the same shape and appearance of normal queen cells except they are noticeably small in length and girth.