Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't do this!

Default Re: Don't do this!

Quote Originally Posted by juzzerbee View Post
    Your farm must bee the real Land of the Milk and Honey. Ha, I just couldn't leave my 2 cent humor out. juzzer
    Good one!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    A guy I used to work with raised cattle on the side. I asked him once how he came out ahead, having to buy feed, fence, hay, etc. He said, "Well, you have to have a good job."
    I think the same applies to bees .......

Merlin, u can buy long cuffed nitrile gloves, might have to shop around for them though.

Now I think you are missing a real opportunity. I think that you likely had a cow interested in bee keeping and wanted to help. I say you get them/her a veil and harness that energy.

Hank

Quote Originally Posted by rjphil View Post
    I think the same applies to bees .......

Actually if you work it right bees can pay for themselves. I bought just enough equipment to get started, quickly decided to go foundationless (pretty big savings in not having to buy foundation), did crush and strain until the honey and the bees paid for an extractor. I won't have a hobby that won't pay for it's self, even my chickens have to produce enough eggs (selling them) to pay for feed. I think people lose money in beekeeping because they buy a bunch of stuff they don't need, bad luck, and who knows. Also I haven't paid for new bees in years, I do cut outs and swarm collection and get paid for the former. Make your own queens unless you are wanting to add genetics then go ahead and buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Merlin, u can buy long cuffed nitrile gloves, might have to shop around for them though.
    Off to the Amazon! (dot com, that is) Thanks!
    - Bruce
    I have one TBH and have yet to overwinter it. Don't do anything soley on my advice!

I tried the latex gloves, ended up using common dish washing gloves, they are longer, come in different sizes and color. They do discourage the bees from stinging, but are not 100% sting proof--- they do help a lot. I wear them anytime I'm doing light work with our bees. I do use regular gauntlet rubber coated gloves when we do extractions.