Default How late in the day is too late to install a package?

I'll be home with my bees probably around 5 or 5:30 on Thursday afternoon. By the time I assemble stuff and am ready to install the package it'll probably be 6:30. Is that too late to get the bees in their new home? It's dark by 8 or so now.

TIA
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Default Re: How late in the day is too late to install a package?

I could be wrong but I did some the other night in the head lights they are doing good.

Late in the day is good. They won't go out as much and they have the night to adjust to their new home.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I would agree with Slow Modem, installing later in the day can be an advantage. Fewer flying off. Be advised that they crawl more later.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

I've always installed just before dark, it seems like it would keep them inside all night and make them more likely to decide its their home.

I have all my "stuff" assembled and waiting for the bees days ahead of time. Takes a whole 15 minutes to install the package then.

My bees are arriving thursday as well.. First time, im way too stoked to not have my stuff ready.. Ive had my bee yard setup and waiting for bees for over a month lol

I have done installations at night because it simply was the only time I could do them. I leave the package in contact with the porch of the hive so any house bees can walk home. And they have done fine.
    I would say with 1.5 hours before dark you would bee OK.

Dark is too late for me... anytime before that is fine...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

12:01 AM is when it becomes "too late to install bees today." ... That's because 12:01 AM is when it officially becomes TOMORROW :P

Seriously, though, if you're going to install after dark, then I recommend using RED lights to install with (so the bees see everything as still dark), or at least using a bare minimum of light. Simply set the package in the hive (remove however many frames you have to), remove the lid & syrup can, then close the hive up & let the bees install themselves. The next day you can go in & worry with where to put the queen, removing the pkg box, etc.

P.S. I do night-time cut-outs that run well past 2 in the morning regularly. At night, with no major light sources on them, 95% of the bees will never take flight at all, and the few that DO fly, have no idea where they're going & just sorta fly around in crazy circles 'til they crash into something. This can be an advantage in keeping them from "flying off" while installing your package, just be ABSOLUTELY sure to tape up EVERY seam in your clothing if you are going to have many of them crawling around uncontained...crawling bees are ACES at finding that one little hole you didn't tape up! Aside from that, my hives from cut-outs never seemed to have any disadvantage due to being "installed after dark."