Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't do this!

Default Don't do this!

If you've had bees for 10 days AND if you have cows and they get into the small pasture where you have your new bee hives, AND if they knock one of them off the stand sometime around 0600, AND if you get that hive back on the stand immediately, DON'T, DON'T, DON'T take a "quick" peek into that hive at 1200 "just to make sure everything is okay" without any protective gear on.

Ever seen 100 or more guard bees come out of a box top headed straight towards your nose, when there is nothing between your nose and them besides air? Wound up with less than 10 stings so I think I did good.

Oh, and even after living in the country and running barefoot all summer, every summer, today was the first time I had ever been stung by a honeybee. I guess I got lucky the first 42 years.

Default Re: Don't do this!

Hope you're ok. I always wear my veil nowadays, whatever i'm doing. Except two weeks ago...sometimes I have to get reminded of why I should always be wearing my veil....

Wow! So the lesson here is not to get cows? Thanks!

It sounds like you got a little exercise in today!
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

I've learned some lessons the hard way, too. I tend to remember those.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Lazer128 was close but but didn't hit the nail on the head. You sell the cows and turn the pasture into a bee yard.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

I would have loved to seen the look on that cows face at 06:00 lol.

Thanks for that story! I wonder how long it will take them to calm back down

Yes, I think I have learned my lesson about at least wearing a veil. I would sell all the cows but as long as my dad is alive, he'll have cattle. We could make more money selling horse hay than we can with cows, but he trumps me on the totem pole, so......

I don't fully know what it is about the back side of my left ear that the bees found so tempting, but my wife confirmed tonight that at least 4 of them liked that spot...... Even with protective gear on, I will likely never wear gloves. I got stung a couple times on the fingers and never really felt much from those.

Good luck Brad. My late father had Belties. He got where he couldn't handle them and we were afraid he might get hurt. I had to get rid of them. I believe that may have contributed to his death. Your dad's cows are much more important than those bees. I promise.

> Even with protective gear on, I will likely never wear gloves.

You might like to try some disposable style latex or nitrile gloves. They are thin enough that your fingers retain their nimbleness, but seem to discourage bees from stinging your hands. I'd choose the "powdered" kind.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Actually, the trick is to teach the cows not to use your hive as a butt scratcher.
    No one famous.

I got stung a couple times on the fingers and never really felt much from those.
    I don't know what it is about my fingers, but when I get stung there it burns like the fires of hades. Arm isn't so bad, legs either. I'd rather be beaten with a stick than stung on the nose though.

The man I work for used to raise cows. He still has it in his blood, but his quote on cows goes, "Cows are some of God's dumbest creatures." I think that applies to your cattle's 6AM experience with them.
    Try it. What could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    I would sell all the cows but as long as my dad is alive, he'll have cattle. We could make more money selling horse hay than we can with cows, but he trumps me on the totem pole, so......
    A guy I used to work with raised cattle on the side. I asked him once how he came out ahead, having to buy feed, fence, hay, etc. He said, "Well, you have to have a good job."
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer128 View Post
    Good luck Brad. My late father had Belties. He got where he couldn't handle them and we were afraid he might get hurt. I had to get rid of them. I believe that may have contributed to his death. Your dad's cows are much more important than those bees. I promise.
    Thanks for the post and yes I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    A guy I used to work with raised cattle on the side. I asked him once how he came out ahead, having to buy feed, fence, hay, etc. He said, "Well, you have to have a good job."
    I've owned cattle during those times too. Right now there is a cattle shortage across the US, so their price is at a premium. They will at least pay for themselves now. Of course you still can't count your time as money when spraying or baling hay or you go in the hole, but if you own land the cows help keep it cleaned up so you don't have to bush hog all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    Actually, the trick is to teach the cows not to use your hive as a butt scratcher.
    True, but unfortunately impossible. Anything that has corners is a butt scratcher.

I may try the Nitrile gloves, thanks for the tip.

With that ear... the first one was probably a random hit. After that, though, the alarm scent emitted from the remaining stinger became a beacon to the rest. Best to scrape that stinger out quick.

My hands swell like balloons so I wear the latex gloves. Get a lot of walkers on the gloves, but no one has yet to sting through it. Too bad for my wrists that the gloves aren't gauntlets.

build a REAL fence around the hives, think of the cows as real dumb bears. as you have had cows for awhile you know they have a tounge reach of a quarter mile and the strenghth to push on the fence about like a D8 caterpillar.

Your farm must bee the real Land of the Milk and Honey. Ha, I just couldn't leave my 2 cent humor out. juzzer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast