Default Used equipment for newbie?

We are new to beekeeping this year. We have come across some used hives that have drawn comb in them. Just wondering if this is ok from a pest perspective? The owner said he "thinks" maybe his bees died off because of varroa because he hasn't treated in several years. He said there was even a little honey left. They have been through a freeze so I know that will kill varroa but would it be ok to use these or are we just adding problems we don't need? Thanks so much!

Default Re: Used equipment for newbie?

I should also add that the guy has been beekeeping for 10-15 years and he said there is no AFB in them.

Questions you have to ask;

What chemicals/treatments were applied to the bees previously? Those treatments may still be in the wax comb. Combs should be rotated every 5 years.
    Is there any wax moth damage?
    How does he know there is no AFB in the old equipment. (I'm not saying there is) You can test for it. There is a kit available. If it tests positive, you just don't use the frames. Scorch the inside everything with a torch, and recoat outside with paint.

That said, look at it as a gift from an angel and say thank you. I had an angel help me out when I was starting.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

I don't re-use comb or frames belonging to someone else except to melt down the wax. I simply don't trust them unless I knew the beekeeper real well.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll skip the frames and comb, just get the bodies. I was given brand new frame pieces that just need to bee assembled so ill use those instead !