Default Why Aren't My Bees Making Honey

I use medium supers for everything - hive bodies and all. I have several hives with a total of four supers and the rest three supers. There is capped brood in all the supers and very little honey. I have split most of these hives already this year - 50/50 splits where I divided the frames equally between two hives. That was a little over a month ago - and some of them have already almost filled two supers - with more brood. I would say our nectar flow is just really starting to go pretty good. Why are these bees making more bees at such a rate and not putting up honey. There is a little uncapped honey in most of the hives - but none capped. Quite a bit of pollen. Should I split these big hives again?

Default Re: Why Aren't My Bees Making Honey

They're making brood because you split them.... You need to get the population of the hive to where they have enough foragers to create an excess and your nectar flows have to be sufficient to provide one. 3 mediums is really not a big hive, that's two deeps, a typical size of a broodnest where I'm at. You can get capped honey but two deeps is about where I start adding my supers which is where you're at now. It all depends on nectar flow too, you say there's a good flow, but how do you know? What's blooming, you get enough rain/water to push nectar for these blooms? You might have an ok flow but it's just enough to feed all the new mouths, typically if you split hives, you sacrifice honey production for the year.

Default Re: Why Aren't My Bees Making Honey

If you want honey, don't split them. It takes a lot of bees to make honey. You already answered your question about why they aren't making honey. You've already split them, and your flow is just starting. Can't make honey without bees or a flow. With the flow coming on, they should start packing it away pretty quick. When the flow hits you should know it. On an inspection there will be frames of liquid in the cells. If you tip it facing the ground and give it a shake, lots of liquid will come out. That's nectar they just brought in. Give them time to build up and work the flow. The honey will come. Patience. LOL

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm