Thread: Bee allergy

Default Bee allergy

Question for someone with this. Can you still eat honey. Thank you in advance, Ken

Default Re: Bee allergy

I am anaphylactic to bee stings, however I still eat a lot of honey and have never had a bad reaction to it but I can only speak for myself.

Thanks waggle, I'm giving a bee class this Friday 1st thru
    4th grade. Was planning on giving 2oz. Honeybear to kids when I'm done. Teacher is asking parents if there are any bee allergy kids. If there is I'm not sure if honey would effect them.

Looks like honey allergies exist. I had no idea...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hon...SECTION=safety
    Try it. What could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by ken rice View Post
    Teacher is asking parents if there are any bee allergy kids. If there is I'm not sure if honey would effect them.
    Personally, and from my medical knowledge/research/experience, I'd say that an allergy to bee VENOM (i.e. stings, or "bee allergy" on medalert tag) would likely have absolutely no bearing on an allergy to honey. On the other hand, if someone had bad enough allergies to the POLLEN that invariably is IN the honey, then you could end up with problems, also, I can see a VERY low portion of a percentile chance that someone may develop an allergy to one/more of the proteins from the bees' digestive systems that get mixed into the nectar & pollen to form the honey, but I would anticipate that to be extremely rare, with a guess of 95%+ of any/all "honey allergies" to be directly related to the contained pollen.

...just my $0.02