Default hived new package yesterday, today snow!

Hi, Yesterday I installed two new packages of bees in my two hives. I installed by taking out the syrup can, the queen, and laying the box of bees on top of a deep with another empty deep on top of that. I made sure the queen was covered by the bees and that there were a few frames of honey scratched open on either side of the empty frames in the middle. All drawn comb, as these two hives were dead outs. I also added a pollen patty to each hive.

Today I'm supposed to open the hive up and make sure the queen got out and the box of bees emptied. However, this is Minnesota, and we are having the craziest spring----we have five inches of snow predicted this afternoon!

Is there something else I should do to make sure the new bees weather this snowfall in good shape? SHould I add a baggie feeder or a rapid feeder with warm syrup? Do I dare even open the hive to check on them under these circumstances? Taking the time to remove the empty deep, add a spacer, throwing on a feeder and covering the whole thing up again would take a few minutes if my movements are well organized and I don't drop anything---and.....well......

The temp currently is 35, but might get up to 41 before the storm. What should I do?

THanks in advance, Jane

Default Re: hived new package yesterday, today snow!

The best thing you can do is nothing. If you must do something, take some roofing paper and wrap the hive bodies to prevent draft, snow, etc. from getting in, because they have not had a chance to propolize the boxes together. Am i too understand you left the wooden package box in the hive? Wait until it warms and get the box out, check on the queen, etc. Too cold and wet right now.

I agree with the above. You could also potentially move them to a garage or barn until it warms up to protect them. This year we in MI had a similar problem with early packages. I actually hived mine in the garage, it was cold, the bees were tightly clustered, and there were no flyers- which actually made it easier. I had honey frames for them to eat. They spent about 4 days in the garage till we warmed up and i moved them to the yard.. All queens were looking well after a week or so when I finally opened them.

I did the same type of install yesterday due to cold and windy conditions.
    Both hives had drawn comb and capped honey.
    Was going to check on the queen in three days to see if she was let out of the queen cage.

Looks like your area will in the mid to high 40's Wed and Thurs so you could check on them then.
    They probably won't take syrup due to the cold and since you scratched open the capped honey they should be ok for the moment.

Thanks for your quick reply, I feel better. Yes, I left the wooden box in, as it seems to be all the rage right now not to 'shake' the bees in, but let them drift out on their own. I must say it was much better than my experience last year. I'm going to cross my fingers and assume all will be well. I'm glad there's plenty of honey in there for them, and I only hope they can break cluster to get to it.