Default Bottling lightly crystallized Honey

I had to do some spring extracting and have about 40 gallons of lightly crystallized honey in 5 gallon buckets. The honey has been run through a 600 micron filter.

The supers were warmed and I have kept the buckets warmed to 95 degrees and have let them sit for 2 days to clarify.

My problem is the honey has separated itself into layers, with the bottom 1/4 of the buckets being lightly crystallized and the upper 2/3rd being clear.

Since I've only been able to do a course filtering, how long should I let the buckets sit to clarify before bottling?

After I skim off the float, should I stir the buckets before bottling to evenly mix the crystallizing?

Or, should I warm it up to a higher temperature to get rid of all the crystallizing before bottling? And, what's the lowest temperature that will achieve that, and will it hurt the quality of the honey?

Thanks. ....Don

Default Re: Bottling lightly crystallized Honey

Seen that a lot, yor not warm enough to remove all the crystals... 105 will get you to about 95% but you will still have some in the bottom. 130 I find will get them all, but according to Dyce you have to flash heat to 150 to get them all.
    I use a homemade hotbox, and a small space heater from walmart..(25.00) biggest pain is getting the temp set where you want it.

I found a controller yesterday, cost me 75.00. It is digital, can function if F or C, and you set the differential from 1 to 12 degrees. Set it up yesterday at 95 plus/minus 1 and checked it this AM. A 60watt light bulb, 9 Cu ft freezer, exactly 95. Now how long to heat honey is yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by alexlloyd View Post
    I found a controller yesterday, cost me 75.00. It is digital, can function if F or C, and you set the differential from 1 to 12 degrees. Set it up yesterday at 95 plus/minus 1 and checked it this AM. A 60watt light bulb, 9 Cu ft freezer, exactly 95. Now how long to heat honey is yet to be determined.
    These are Johnson digital controlers and really work well. I used to use mine in a old chest freezer with a small heater. You have to open the heater and disconnect the internal therm so it runs direct. The Johnson controller will start and stop it. I could fit about 8 pails in the freezer in my unheated Michigan honey house. Once the buckets come up to temp the heater would only kick on once a hour for 45 seconds