Default Dead bee Larvae in front of hive

Hi all,

New to beekeeping. I've recently installed a nuc (less than a week). I'm in Utah and we're coming out of a recent cold and wet spell. Night temperatures are still dipping into the low 40s, and the hive I'm using is used - but they were new last year and were kept at our place. In any event, I've got some dead larvae in various stages of development - some very fresh, some older. There's one that is quite a bit bigger than any of the others - I assume it's a queen. It's abdomen is still kind of milky white but the thorax an head are that honey comb yellow color and the head is just a shell. Maybe it's older? Anyway, They don't appear to have mites on them. Any thoughts as to what it could be and what I might do to treat? I'm trying to post a picture, but it doesn't seem to let me.

Default Re: Dead bee Larvae in front of hive

mat, seeing dead pupae on the landing board early in the morning after a cold night is normal, sometimes the brood at the edge of the combs get chilled. Your bees are just taking care of business.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A, Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up

Thanks Bill. I'll keep an eye on it and the weather is turning drier and warm.

Mat,

I made a similar observation two days ago and I think, like WWW suggests, it is just chilled brood from a cold snap. I'm looking at the low 20's for the next three nights.

Steve