Default Three mediums for brood chamber

Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track , I'm going with all mediums- 10 frame . So if I'm right I need 3 med. just for brood and they should all have crimped wire foundation . No honey until I add a fourth super with my cut comb foundation .Am I ok so far .

Default Re: Three mediums for brood chamber

You're good.

Sounds good to me. A typical 2 deep brood set up is 19-1/4" tall so 3 mediums = 19-7/8". They're equivalent and it's a good idea to run everything the same, makes it easier to build and manage equipment.

Or you could be like me and have too many styles of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGluck View Post
    Or you could be like me and have too many styles of equipment.
    ...And me...sucks having to go through & "convert" all your hives over to something standardized later; far better to start out with everything interchangeable, IMHO.

OK, now I better start building more frames !!!!!!!!!!! hard to think they could fill 3 med. with brood and then start on a honey super to boot , can't wait to see the progress .

This is the configuration I use (all mediums, three are brood chamber, everything above that is honey). I don't use an excluder, never had an issue with brood above the 3rd medium. From what I have observed, as the colony shrinks in the fall, they will fill the 3rd medium with honey along with the outer frames in the 2nd medium, plenty of honey for winter. Started out with deeps for brood and mediums for honey, but have been gradually taking the deeps out of service. In spring, I can reverse the 2nd and 3rd medium if needed.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Reversing supers is this to show more room for the queen for laying and stop a swarm ? I have read the cluster of bees keep the brood warm through winter , if there is brood in two or three chambers how do they keep them all warm , don't they have to stay together to keep themselves warm too .

You don't want to shuffle brood chambers if it will split the cluster - which is a problem with mediums, because a good cluster will usually be in more than one. If the bottom of three is empty of brood you can move it to the top, but even that is kind of problematical in late winter/early spring because it has to be warm enough to confirm that is the case.

In another thread Jclark said this - "The natural inclination is to move up--the inability to do so is what starts the chain of events that lead to swarming." Which makes a lot of sense, even though I don't think I have ever heard it put like that. But it gives some insight into what you are trying to do when you reverse hive bodies, and also clearly points out other options.

I got involved in a thread last year on surface area of frames trying to figure out 8 frame med. brood chamber equivalents. Mike Bush and I had some good exchanges and what it comes down to is doing the equivalent to a double 10 frame brood area the 8 frame med. equivalent is 4 med. boxes and on the 10 frame it is 3 med. boxes. I started 3 med. box hives on 6 Apr. so it is still too new to me to evaluate, but the bee build out has been very fast. I am going to do my 10 day check today as I am going to be out of town on Sat. and I am going to add the second med. box to each hive. Doing my 4 day queen release check half the frames in each hive I could see build out, but did not check for how deep the comb went.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I started with all meds and I was able to get 7 high by July, extracted, and got another 2 full by Sept. They can really move if you let them.

I ended up doing a quick check on Friday, 19 Apr., and in two weeks all three hives had comb on 8 frames. I added a box on each of the three and check this coming weekend. Their uptake from the top feeders has slowed down and the half patty I put in each one is gone. I see lots of pollen going in, I did not pull any frames yet, and I think our honey flow has started full force. I may also pull off the top feeders next weekend too. I pulled one frame from the lower box edge to put in the middle of the new box in each of the three hives and hope that helps hurry up the build out of the new box. I am very pleased with their progress!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a