Default How long will a hive last?

I made my first split about a month an a half ago. Today inspecting a hive I found a lot of drone brood and could not find a queen.
    Entrance traffic is very reasonable, but my question is.

How long will a hive last without a queen, with just laying workers. I know bees live for 6 weeks, so by now are they suppose to be all gone? I have read that hive with laying workers "will ultimately fail" But I wonder how long is that. I do not want to introduce a queen, they will tear her apart, and do not want to shake out all the bees- I live in residential neighborhood.

Thank you

Default Re: How long will a hive last?

Answer to your question -> not very long.

Just give them a frame of worker eggs from one of your queenright hive, once each week. It will keep them going and straighten them out. Eventually they will raise themselves a replacement queen.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I'll second what Joe Clemens said, and refer you to M. Bush's very informative website for a nice writeup on why: http://www.bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm

BTW: While you're on that site, I HIGHLY recommend taking a look around at some of his many other informative articles...most of the questions that come up very frequently in these forums have answers & explanations in the articles he's put on his site

Here's more on laying workers:
    http://bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF