Default Over wintered bees fro NY

I'm just finding out about black over wintered bees from N.Y. state and have been told they are much hardier in colder weather and stand a much better chance of surviving are PA winters . I was told the packages from down south don't stand much of chance surviving in my area , all of this after ordering packages from down south . I don't remember seeing any posts about them , is anyone using them .
    Last edited by laketrout; 04-22-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Default Re: Over wintered bees fro NY

Never heard of them. Your bees can survive if they have enough food and protection. Don't know how many packages you have but I'd re-queen some w/ carniolans if you are worried about overwintering. Look at Bjorn bee. I know they sell overwintered stock from PA. Or try Draper's--think they are further north in PA. Planning on using their buckfast, and maybe all-american, queens for re-queening of nucs this summer.

Hopefully, by the time I move to the farm in Bedford, PA, I'll have a decent stock bred here. Will just have to fine tune for the more drastic mountain swings in temps there (carniolans are supposedly good for this). Would put a few hives there now but have some black bear on the property and can't get there too often.

Hi, J I have family in Bedford and there use to be a bee supply house there but they moved out just recently ( Beeline Apiaries &Woodenware )

I posted as a black bee , there are a dark bee instead , I have Italians coming hope they hold up for me . Wish I would have known about the northern bees being tougher , and a better choice for my area .

Yeah. I tried to contact Beeline last year but never got a response. Eventually there will be an apiary there! Can't wait to get out of this area but am stuck for 8 more yrs at least (and may have to spend a few years in Thailand--not sure what to do w/ the bees if I have to do this).