Default Messed up. Now what

I hived my first package about a month ago. They WERE doing fine, but I think I really screwed up today. About 7 frames were reasonably full of comb but 3 outer frames seemed untouched (nothing but foundation). So, I thought I will disperse those frames into the center (put each empty frame between a couple of full ones). Now I am reading that was a really dumb thing to do. I am going this alone and if I have read not to do this, I certainly don't remember. I would have thought nothing of it had I not thought to look here tonight. So, given I have already done this, should I go back in and try to correct my mistake tomorrow or just watch and wait and see what happens? Is there anything I can do to help this situation? Finally, have I killed my hive? There was evidence that I have had some successful hatch (open cells that were closed off last week). Oh, I also added a medium super to give more room up top. Now I am thinking I shouldn't have done that either.

Default Re: Messed up. Now what

First, you have certainly not killed your hive. It's warm enough in Newton that the bees won't be stretched too thin as far as keeping brood warm. Secondly, just wait and see. You've done no damage.

At least that's what I think. Some more experienced folks might correct me.

It sounds like your package is off to a raging start.
    Last edited by JStinson; 04-21-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Hmmm, sounds like you inadvertently checkerboarded your broodnest for the first time. Congratulations, you've made it reasonably certain that your bees won't be swarming on you just yet

That said, and all joking aside, I see absolutely nothing wrong with anything you did; the weather in GA should be sufficiently warm for sticking a foot up your bees' collective behind about making you more brood & honey, and if they don't need the super yet, it's warm enough, and there are enough bees, that it shouldn't cause any harm...it'll just sit there empty 'til they need it.

I did something similar pulled a frame of brood and stores into a second box trying to get my 8 frame med to expand on foundation had a short cold snap 2 days later even had frost on the ground one morning really ad me second guessing myself, but so far so good seen plenty of bees comin and going since and haven't seen and dead larva outside the hive

if the hive had a good population of bees you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the comments. I thought I had wrecked them for sure. I normally check on them weekly, would it be advisable to just leave them alone for a couple of weeks? If I should leave them alone, would it be acceptable to replace the baggie feeder (I am feeding 1:1 syrup) without actually inspecting frames?

You haven't done anything to them that should keep you from being able to safely inspect again next week ... so nothing to worry about there either; just take a few deep breaths & let the following statement sink in: "You did nothing wrong."

well if it makes you feel any better, I checked on mine 4 days after I put the frames up just a quick peek to make sure I didn't kill any, and they have drawn out almost a full frame and half of another, plenty of bees covering at the rate they are going, in another 1.5 - 2 weeks I will have to add another 8 frame med on. They are quickly exploding!