Thread: Roaches

Default Roaches

Opened a hive today and saw 4 or 5 roaches on top of the inner cover. Is this a major problem? How do I get rid of them? Thanks

Default Re: Roaches

One thing is for sure. Don't spray roach poison on them! That may sound like overstating the concerns, but I had an employee once (at my pet store) that sprayed ant poison into our cricket keeper, which was a large wooden box
    for housing crickets for sale. Needless to say, the ant poison killed all the crickets as well as the ants, but worse, it contaminated the housing unit where it would never keep crickets again.

Having said that, I believe that if your hive remains strong, roaches won't be much of a problem. The girls ought to take them out. Not using inner covers here, I can only guess that perhaps the bees aren't quite as fussy about that area when it comes to uninvited guests. Possibly some kind of ground control would work. I do that for ants.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Roaches like eating dead bees & spilled/spoiled honey. As long as the bees are alive, and there are plenty of them to defend their honey, I highly doubt the roaches will try a "hostile takeover"

You can try the roach motel with sticky glue inside. I'm not sure if the bees will go in too?
    Maybe to hide them inside a paper bag or cover with newspaper so the bees cannot get in.

Roaches have absolutely no interest in your bees. Ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Roaches have absolutely no interest in your bees. Ignore them.
    I agree completely. I has a 2 year old yard of 20 that has a bunch of roaches and the bee's ignore them so I do to

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    You can try the roach motel with sticky glue inside. I'm not sure if the bees will go in too?
    Maybe to hide them inside a paper bag or cover with newspaper so the bees cannot get in.
    If a bee can fit in it will and chew the stuff inside trying to remove it.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the help.

I keep some hive in a wooded lot and they have always had them, at first I was worried about it but they never have done any harm. I think it is nothing to worry about.

I think sometimes they wander into the hive and get chased up to the top and end up trapped on the inner cover. If they are wandering around in the hive, you have too much space for the number of bees...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF