Default Are the nurse bees in danger?

I need to add a frame with newly laid eggs from one hive into one that does not have a queen. From what I've read on here, you need to add the nurse bees also. My question is, the one hive won't harm the nurse bees if they've come from another hive? Thank you to everyone on here who responds to all of us new beekeepers with lots of questions. Everyone is so helpful with all there information. It nice to know that the experienced beekeepers are willing to help all of us out. Thanks again

Default Re: Are the nurse bees in danger?

You can go either way. With the nurse bees attached...or without. I've done it either way and it works great. If I give it with the nurse bees, I take the frame out, give it a small puff of smoke...very little smoke...and set the frame on the side of the original hive for a few minutes...if the temperatures are allowing it.
    Any worker bee, or most of them would take flight, and you're left with majority of nurse bees on the frame. Now, you can take the frame, with the nurse bees and give it to the hive in need.
    Good luck!

Yes, you can add a frame of adhereing bees from one hive to another. They are docile and keep right on working. We all do it, just don't trade frames from a sick hive.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Before you move a frame of bees, make sure you do not have your queen hiding on the frame you are moving. That is the main reason many do not move bees with the frame. Easier to know for sure!
    Old Guy in Alabama

I have done this almost all the time. Just take a frame with nurse bees and eggs to put in your queen less hive.
    They will make you some queens hopefully. Usually they will make 3-8 depending on how many they want to make.
    The nurse bees the new hive will accept readily while some of the foragers still on the frame will fly back to their original hive.
    Do this in the afternoon so majority of the foragers are out in the field leaving you more nurse bees on the frame.
    Some returning foragers are o.k. to add to the new hive. It would help if you use the natural foundation instead of the
    plastic foundation. Because later on when the queen cells mature you can cut them to put into nucs to avoid the virgin
    queen killing off the unhatched queens still inside their cells.
    If you accidentally moved the original queen on the frame to your new hive that is queen less then your original hive
    will make some queens instead of the new hive. Of course your original hive must have some eggs and young
    larvae also. Either way we try to find the strongest hive possible to make you some good big queens.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Before you move a frame of bees, make sure you do not have your queen hiding on the frame you are moving. That is the main reason many do not move bees with the frame. Easier to know for sure!
    Right on with this comment jrbbees! Be careful shaking a frame of bees you want the bees to use to make a new queen.

If you are wanting the bees to make a queen, read about making queens without grafting.
    Last edited by Lburou; 04-22-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Just make sure the queen isn't on it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF