Hybrid View

Default 2 queens in my nuc today! Did I move the right queen?

2 queens in my nuc today! I keep a few nucs for a back up plan and decided to make all the queens today. I marked the queen and while the paint was drying I started to put the frame she was on back into the hive. I noticed a golf ball sized pile of bees on the frame when i picked it back up so I scrapped them in my hand. I found another queen that looked even bigger than the one I marked and she was much prettier, really cordovan colored. I finally decided that this was the older and put her in a cage with a few workers and drove her across town to a hive that is queenless. I was really surprised to find 2 queens especially since the hive was not crowded at all. I also didn't see any hatched swarm queen cells but I guess I could have squashed them when I checked the hive a few days ago and forget.
    Which is it?
    1. I moved the right queen, the were balling her as part of swarm prep
    2. I moved the wrong queen, because she was the newest queen the bees were balling her to protect her from the hive
    3. doesn't matter, either way is correct
    4. hive will probably supersede the queen anyway so it won't make a difference
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

Default Re: 2 queens in my nuc today! Did I move the right queen?

I'll take option 3, or a partial option 1.

If they were balling her, she was going to die if you hadn't intervened, so she'd be a good pick to move to a diff. hive
    On the other hand, if you'd moved the other one, and left her (caged) in that hive, they'd most likely have accepted her once they realized they were queenless otherwise

I think they are trying to supercede her by making another queen in the same hive. The second year queen is a lot bigger on the thorax than the first year new queen. So you did the right thing by separating them and taking her to the queen less hive. It doesn't matter now that you were there to catch in on the actions.

I have done some reading into queen-balling. I read in ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture that when a queen is balled she will be stung or suffocated to death because there is a queen present, there are cell being made/present, there is a laying worker. I know that the edition I am reading is the 35th but most evrything is still relevant. Hope this helps
    By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Gregory View Post
    I have done some reading into queen-balling. I read in ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture that when a queen is balled she will be stung or suffocated to death because there is a queen present, there are cell being made/present, there is a laying worker. I know that the edition I am reading is the 35th but most evrything is still relevant. Hope this helps
    Greg,
    respectfully, I disagree. It was not the kind of balling to kill her. It was more like they were protecting her. So I think there are two kinds of balling. I've seen the killing kind of balling and this was not it for sure.

Yes, there are 2 kinds of balling. One is to love her to death while the other is to kill her to death.
    I've seen more love her to death balling so far.