Default New packages installed

I installed two new packages yesterday and am curious as to what the general consensus is on here regarding the entrance reducer. Traffic jams happen at the entrance because they are all working hard to collect pollen already. That surprised me. Anyhow do you leave them on or make them larger this early in a hives development?

Default Re: New packages installed

Depends if there's other hives around to rob them if you're feeding. If they have a good population I'd open them up, especially if it's getting warm out. Maybe open them up halfway, how big are the entrances vertically? I prefer the smallest height possible to allow bees to come and go but you can run into ventilation issues when it gets over 100 but I don't see a need to reduce them then.

Default Re: New packages installed

Ok thanks, I will open it up for them halfway tomorrow, the population is strong although there are around 25 dead bees in front of each hive. I am assuming that this is normal and these bees had reached their life cycle. I am feeding inside of the hive with a mason jar but am considering switching to baggie methods. Do you or anyone else have preferences on feeding since I haven't developed my preferences yet?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-22-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: UNQuote