Default Concerns with 1 week old nucs

So I was excited and nervous about checking on my new hives today. I picked up two nucs last weekend and transferred them to two new hives. As I placed the nuc frames, I gave a look for the queen and general state of the brood, etc. Found the queen in nuc 1 no problem. With the second nuc, I immediately noticed queen cups. Empty. Never saw a queen, but didn't want to spend too much time looking. That had me nervous.

Closed them up and gave them 8 days with a full frame feeder of syrup and no disturbance.

Checked them today and it appears, to me, that neither has any fresh brood. No visible larva or eggs in any open cells. Lots of honey on both. One new frame in one hive has some draw on it. Otherwise, the only activity is on the nuc frames in both. The nuc with queen cups has several new full queen cells. I did not see a queen again in that one. In the other nuc I found the queen, but even the frame she was on had no new brood.

My inexperienced assumptions....nuc 1 with queen has some issue where she isn't laying eggs. Nuc 2 never had a queen. The bees in both have no reason to begin moving out to the new frames since nothing is filling up the current frames besides honey and the population isn't growing.

Any advice would be great. My first thought is to call BeeWeaver since I'm almost positive the one nuc had no queen to start.

I've included some pictures below.

One picture is of nuc 1's queen. The other 3 are of nuc 2 with queen cells and nearly all honey.

Thanks,
    Nick

queen circled.jpgnuc2.jpgnuc 2 q cells 2.jpgnuc 2 q cells.jpg

Default Re: Concerns with 1 week old nucs

Nice queen cells! You will find the Weavers are willing to help. Give them a call after you are sure there are no eggs in there.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Well, at least we got the queen cells right. :-) I'll give them a holler. Hopefully they can steer me in the right direction. Will update as we move forward.

So it looks like I've got a new queen on the way, but there is a possibility that the queen cells hatched producing a virign queen. Do you guys suggest integrating the new queen and removing the remaining queen cells or should I look at possibly splitting the hive and using the queen cells and new queen separately? If i add the new queen and remove the remaining cells, what happens if a virgin queen is present or comes back (if out and about)? I'm not sure if the hive (2 week old nuc) is strong enough to split.

Not sure how to proceed with the new queen.

Thoughts?

Nick

Unless you can assure that you don't have a virgin running around, don't waste a new queen in that nuc. If the old queen still isn't laying, remove her and use the new queen there. If she is, then try a very small nuc with the new queen. It should be warm enough in Austin now. Or you could sell the new queen, someone is always looking for one.