Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Give me the lowdown on mint, thyme, cilantro and other plants for critter control

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  KQ6AR 
#1 ·
I've been searching and reading about bees again. You folks will soon figure out that leads to questions. :D

I've read that mint, thyme, and cilantro nectar/pollen repels mites. What's you folks real world experience with this? We've got plenty of land to plant anything needed.

#2 ·
I recently asked BeeSource member Drakos about his experience with thyme:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?277351-Thyme-honey-manipulation!!!!!-Opinions

Do your hives have problems with mites? I read that some commercial mite control products are based on an extract from thyme. Do you still have to treat for mites when your bees are making thyme honey?
He replied:

Generally speaking, after going to thymes the hives are in a very good health.
BUT, yes there are mites after that, because the essential-oil of thyme is in the leaves and not in the nectar.
Hope it helps!

#6 ·
You will get minimal (if any) benefits from your plantings. I have a bottle of Honey-B-Healthy that I understand contains EOs. I don't use it much, and when I do it is to make my sugar syrup more attractive to the bees. There is research out there that shows EOs harm bee gut microbes.

#8 ·
So after reading the Drakos thread on thyme and this one - my question would be could one use a pure (therapeutic grade) thyme essential oil - maybe one drop in the oil pan for mites. Inhalation works in humans and other animals and birds with good results. Any thoughts about with the bees?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.