Default Give me the lowdown on mint, thyme, cilantro and other plants for critter control

I've been searching and reading about bees again. You folks will soon figure out that leads to questions.

I've read that mint, thyme, and cilantro nectar/pollen repels mites. What's you folks real world experience with this? We've got plenty of land to plant anything needed.

Default Re: Give me the lowdown on mint, thyme, cilantro and other plants for critter control

I recently asked BeeSource member Drakos about his experience with thyme:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...!!!!!-Opinions

Do your hives have problems with mites? I read that some commercial mite control products are based on an extract from thyme. Do you still have to treat for mites when your bees are making thyme honey?
    He replied:

Generally speaking, after going to thymes the hives are in a very good health.
    BUT, yes there are mites after that, because the essential-oil of thyme is in the leaves and not in the nectar.
    Hope it helps!
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

Default Re: Give me the lowdown on mint, thyme, cilantro and other plants for critter control

Thanks for the info

I heard a lot of things that weren't true.... I kind of put this under that category. I bet if you measured the essential oils or organic acids the bees picked up, it would be minimal if any at all.

That's what I wanted to know.

Do any of you guys feed syrup with essential oils in it?

You will get minimal (if any) benefits from your plantings. I have a bottle of Honey-B-Healthy that I understand contains EOs. I don't use it much, and when I do it is to make my sugar syrup more attractive to the bees. There is research out there that shows EOs harm bee gut microbes.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Thanks for the info

So after reading the Drakos thread on thyme and this one - my question would be could one use a pure (therapeutic grade) thyme essential oil - maybe one drop in the oil pan for mites. Inhalation works in humans and other animals and birds with good results. Any thoughts about with the bees?

I have heard that putting down a thin strip of pepermint oil will control mites I have not experimented with it
    so it may just be a folk story
    Insect farming is soooo interesting :)

Quote Originally Posted by Honey man View Post
    I have heard that putting down a thin strip of pepermint oil will control mites I have not experimented with it
    so it may just be a folk story
    I am out the door with oil in hand - going to put one drop in the oil tray. Wish me luck!

Please let me know if it helps

I've heard a little thyme, grapefruit leaves, or tobacco in the smoker can do some good for mites.
    I've tries the thyme in the smoker, it seamed to irritate the bees.
    Dan