Hybrid View

Default Is This Bad For Bees?

Hi folks, I am clueless about bees but have found myself needing to get some questions answered about them and would really appreciate some input about this.

I made this thing in the photo to try and pull the bees away from my hummingbird feeders that they were overwhelming.
    We were quickly shocked at just how many bees turned out to exploit it.
    They are using up almost two gallons of sugar water a day. This is the second day I did this and there are twice as many bees.

It did work perfectly to get them off the feeders. I have tried all kinds of bird feeders, Hummingbirds like these cheap ones the best,
    it is about what they like best, not what the bees like or can use.

With this many bees using it I became concerned that this may not actually be good for them to be doing or would this hurt them or the colony.
    I also wondered why there were so many using it. It makes me wonder why they are not using natural resources and if this is so easy that
    it is stopping them from doing that, is that not good for them?

I appreciate any input, this has made us both think about getting some hives.

beee.jpg

Default Re: Is This Bad For Bees?

Looks like you made some type of wick. If you are just feeding sugar water then probably no harm to the bees. Think about everything involved with beekeeping before deciding to get into it. It's a great pastime but there are some costs involved and the learning curve can be pretty steep. Just look over some of the posts on this forum and you can see some of the problems people have.

Why are the bees attracted to the feeder? Free food! If you don't believe me place a tray of fresh BBQ ribs out in your yard with a sign that says free BBQ and see if any neighbors show up!

Bees are greedy hoarders, and will use the largest closest source. If you keep that feeder full, you will always have large numbers of bees.

There are a couple solutions to bees at hummingbird feeders: First, and foremost, you must use bee-proof ones that have long dip tubes. If the bees cannot reach the sugar water, they will ignore them. You must also have non-leaking feeders.

Second, move the feeders every couple days. Bees are not anywhere near as smart as the birds -- the birds will locate the feeders much faster than the bees when relocated, and will remember that you had one in the front of the house two days ago. The bees will have to find them again, get sugar water, then return to the hive, they forget after overnight where they went the day before.

I would not feed the bees just to keep them off the hummingbird feeders, you are putting sugar instead of nectar into someone's hive most likely, and feeding just encourages more of them to come.

Good luck!

This was our solution, from Amazon. We got enough for the neighbors too:
    41wpZKdu8OL.jpg
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

you are putting sugar instead of nectar into someone's hive most likely
    That's a really good point. I wouldn't be too happy if my bees were showing up at the hives with syrup instead of nectar.

Having said that, you are doing no harm to the bees. Unfortunately, you will only attract more and more until your sugar budget runs dry.

Your only option is to remove the bee feeder and beeproof your hummingbird feeders.

That's a really interesting contraption you've built, though.