Default Need answer within 2 hours

On way home with 2 nucs . Should I hive tonight after ride or tomorrow morning or after work about 6pm. Supposed to be cold tonight. If tomorrow I assume I should open and let fly? Thanks for any quick replies.

Default Re: Need answer within 2 hours

Set them out, open them up and move to full supers when it warms up. How long would you want to be locked up after a long car ride? The girls need to at least get out to pee.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

All bee peeing aside; if it's at least in the mid to upper 40s when you get home, go ahead and hive. If, however, it's colder, or windy, it'd probably be best to just set the nucs where you want the full hives to sit later, let them do their thing for a couple days, then move them to the other boxes (move the boxes to where the nucs were & remove the empty nucs from the scene of the crime when you're done, or you might have confused bees clustering back in the nuc boxes, or where the nuc boxes were).

Good luck, and enjoy your bees

Agree with AmericasBeekeeper. Let 'em fly tonight from the nuc. Depending on stores and how strong the nucs are I've heard advice saying to let the bees fly for three days before hiving them. In that case I set the nuc on top of the hive it will go in.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Should be almost 50 when home in 30 minutes. The ride won't make them to agitated?

I don't think so. I am a beginner bee keeper and mine had nearly a 2 hour drive. I installed them yesterday. They wasn't aggressive but was ready to fly. They were collecting pollen and returning to the hive within a few hours.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-22-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: UNQuote

I got home and it was already getting dark, so I put the nucs on top of the hive and opened them so they could fly tomorrow and I think I'll give them tomorrow around 7pm.

Sounds like a viable plan