Default what direction should a hive face

I checked my hives that I moved two weeks ago today. I had another beekeeper with me when I moved the hive and he suggested in be put in a certain direction. When I went to check the hive today it was rather windy. I noticed the wind was blowing right into the hive. What general direction should I place the hive? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: what direction should a hive face

Towards the sunrise.

I look at a few factors for placing a hive.

Towards the major flows direction. Sometimes the major flows come from one direction more than others, it depends on your location.

Towards the direction of least winds, especially in winter.

East for the morning sun, taking in to consideration all other factors.

If it applies, the direction where it is easiest for me to work the hive.

Away from public or visiting people traffic.

Facing the entrance to the South or East may wake the bees earlier. The prevalent wind may be a greater concern especially in the Winter. Whatever you do someone will disagree.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I like out...as the bees can never leave for work if the entrance faces back into the hive :P

Seriously, though, I face my hives in alternating directions...one faces N, next faces E, then S, then W and so on...when your hives are really close together, alternating directions that the entrances face seems (in my experience) to limit the number of bees who try to go in the wrong home & get jumped by guard bees who think them robbers Also, if you face your hives all different directions, in 20 years or so you may have gathered enough data to see if it really makes any difference at all which way they face!

I face mine south for more than one reason.

If you are migratory it isn't going to matter. If the hives are impermanent I would say in the second quadrant, east to south.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I find that my bees do not like the winds that much. On a strong windy day it will make their flying an uphill battle.
    So I screen them in with weed guard around a few metal stakes so the winds cannot blow directly into their hive entrance. Problem solved.
    The best direction I found out is morning sun facing the hive entrance (warm them up faster) and afternoon sun facing the back of the hive (not
    too hot in summer so they don't have to fan that much.)

All things being equal, east or sunrise (which is more east southeast). But often things aren't "equal" and they face whatever is convenient for me...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Good answer, Michael. In my case the entrances need to face downhill so the rain doesn't run inside. Also, having the hives in a sunny location is more important, imo, than having the direction that they face.

I face mine east, prevalent winds are north or south and the hives get afternoon shade so if they're bearding they can beard in the shade.

Where I live the prevailing winds in a storm are from the West or the North. The other issue is getting morning sun seems to get them going earlier. So facing the sunrise has that effect. In addition, though, it means the entrance is probably not directly in the sun by the time the heat of the day is on, as the sun will be coming more from the South or West.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

So that walking / mowing / farming traffic is out of the flight path.....

>So that walking / mowing / farming traffic is out of the flight path.....

Exactly. That's why mine don't always face East...