Default Pollen Trap Info

I would like to collect pollen this year but can't use the sundance that goes between brood and bottom board. What is my next best option? I saw there was one that goes above the brood chamber. There are also several models that go in front of the entrance. What is a quick and painless method of collecting?

Thanks.

Default Re: Pollen Trap Info

Buy the Sundance that goes on top. Why can't you use the Sundance that goes on the bottom?

The top Sundance trap works well

>I would like to collect pollen this year but can't use the sundance that goes between brood and bottom board.

If we knew why it might help in coming up with an answer.

>What is my next best option?

As everysaid, the Sundance II is nice.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

What timing is used so you collect pollen without compromising hive stores. How long do you leave a pollen trap on each hive and how frequently can one trap from each hive?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

With a Sundance there is no timing involved as it only collects about 50% of the pollen coming in.

Since we are on the topic of trapping pollen how long can you keep pollen if you freeze it? To feed it do you simply let it thaw out and then make patties? Is it worth the time to collect it vs. buying substitute? Over the past few years if I felt that the bees needed any type of boost early in the year I fed them a substitute pollen patty which I made with megabee, which seemed to work just fine, but obviously i would think the real deal would be better assuming the freezing process doesn't take something out of the pollen. I figure if I can buy a few traps and collect it, it would obviously cost me less in the long run.

Mr. Bush Many of my bottom boards are attached to my brood chambers so I would have to modify the boxes i want to use...

After researching, I think I will try both. Correct me if I'm wrong. I feel that if I create a top entrance for the hives I want to use a Sundance II on top, then the bees will use it. They have to be trained before you use the top collector. Also, since I use queen excluders, I will have one tiny entrance on the brood chamber that allows drones to exit. I'll keep it going for a couple month because it only collects 50% of the pollen anyways. I feel that this type of trap shouldn't be moved from hive to hive very often and moving to the hive beside it should be avoided as it would create confusion.

Is there a Canadian supplier for the Sundance traps both 1 and 2?

Yes, they have to be used to using a top entrance before you put on the pollen trap or they never seem willing to give up on trying to get in the bottom while getting in the top is so difficult.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF