Question bees won't move up yet

I have two hives that I'll compare for your comments and suggestions. In central Maryland the flow isn't quite here full on yet.

Hive 1 is busting with bees and I have been doing swarm management to keep'm home. I put 2 supers on and they are both full of busy bees doing bee stuff.

Hive 2 is not quite as populated but it is very strong. It also has a couple frames (2) not yet built out. The hive boxes are busy with bees but when I put on 2 supers, these bees have no interest in moving up.

There are queen excluders on both hives. Both of these had new queens from last year. Hive 1 was a nuc bought late and hive 2 was the result of a couple queen cells I moved into a box with built out foundation. Any ideas ? How long should I wait for hive 2 to move up before I take the queen excluder out? I'm not crazy about going through 5 boxes looking for brood and her majesty--it's just easier to keep all that activity contained.

Default Re: bees won't move up yet

If you want the bees in hive 2 to start using those supers, you'll likely either have to:

A: Place the super(s) UNDER the brood nest for a few days (you can put the queen excluder above them, if you want) so they bees will start building in them (in "natural" hives, the bees start at the top & build down; thus they often will not recognize the open space we give them above the tops of their combs as usable)

or

B: Pull a couple drawn, "in use" frames (brood or stores; so long as the queen isn't on them it doesn't make much difference) from the brood box(es) up into the center 2-3 spaces in the super, so the bees will use them as "ladder frames" to sorta prove to them that the space up there is usable.

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    If you want the bees in hive 2 to start using those supers, you'll likely either have to:

A: Place the super(s) UNDER the brood nest for a few days (you can put the queen excluder above them, if you want) so they bees will start building in them (in "natural" hives, the bees start at the top & build down; thus they often will not recognize the open space we give them above the tops of their combs as usable)

or

B: Pull a couple drawn, "in use" frames (brood or stores; so long as the queen isn't on them it doesn't make much difference) from the brood box(es) up into the center 2-3 spaces in the super, so the bees will use them as "ladder frames" to sorta prove to them that the space up there is usable.
    Just a dumb question. Would giving them an upper entrance help? That is not an opinion, just a question.

An upper entrance might help. Moving a frame of open larva up would help the most, if your frames from below are the right size...

I've also seen bees ignore foundation in supers between the brood nest and a nearly full super above, had to put a couple capped frames down into the empty box before they would start working them.

Just the nature of bees.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Ode1891 View Post
    I'm not crazy about going through 5 boxes looking for brood and her majesty--it's just easier to keep all that activity contained.
    These hives are 5 boxes high? No flow, no expansion. Wait it out
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Using an upper entrance works if you get them to orient on it before placing the excluder. It is really hard to get them to reorient once they have already form a habit. If you completely close the lower entrance you will trap drones inside.

Ode you say the hive has a couple of frames not built yet. Which means they have not filled the space they already had, and certainly are not ready for more.

You should encourage them to fill the box they have, before adding more boxes. If there are enough bees, you could spread the brood a bit, ie, move one or both of those empty combs to centre broodnest to encourage them to fill the box. I suspect it will be a while before they start moving into the new supers you have added.

Also, bees do not really like moving through a newly placed queen excluder, into a box of foundation. They have to be fairly strong plus be getting some nectar, or they just won't do it. As others have said they can be encouraged up by lifting some existing comb into the new box, but for this hive, that would be a bad idea they need to fill the existing box properly first.

They could also have health issue, queen issue, or whatever, holding them back, such as, say, a high mite level. Would be worth investigating why they are underperforming compared to the other hive.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

What, queen excluders, that might be one problem, some bees don't like moving past them some don't care. Also, maybe they don't have enough resources coming in to get them interested in pulling more space. Might be going to open mouths to feed instead.

thanks for all the posts. i will try by moving a frame of open brood up when I go in again. it has been a very cold spring here in maryland so I hesitate to go in again until it gets warmer and less windy. i have not tested for mites but this hive has capped brood in all the boxes. this particular hive has one large box and two mediums, plus the two medium supers with built out comb above. the queen is HUGE and laying like crazy with beautiful full brood pattern. that's not to say the brood is loaded with mites though. once I gett'm upstairs i will also try an upper entrance.

thanks