Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extractors

Default Extractors

The MANN LAKE Motorized Radial 18/9 Frame Extractor good buy?
    Any bodys input would bee appreciated i'm going to buy one soon.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...s/page115.html
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Extractors

I don't own the Mann Lake Extractor. But when I was researching extractors to buy, one of my deciding factors was the gauge steel used. The thicker gauge will stand up better. This unit has 26 gauge steel which is pretty thin.

Good Luck
    DD
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Not that I own an extractor, but what about the Maxant 1400? Made in the USA, 20 ga polished stainless and is a 20/10 radial

http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html

for a couple of hundred dollars more (plus freight) than the Mann Lake unit:
    http://www.htkbeesupply.com/index.ph...&product_id=87
    Brian

Maxant!

Maxant 1400P Extractor it is thanks for the heads up on the 26 gauge steel Ddwag didn't think of that.
    My wife is going to kill me.

Maxant 1400 is the one I bought last year. heavier gauge and the fact they hadn't raised their prices in something like 15 years? Figured I'd get mine, even though I didn't need it yet before prices went up. I think I paid $1600 including shipping.
    I was impressed with the quality of this extractor. We do Commercial construction and I am pretty picky about the quality of my tools.

http://www.ruhlbeesupply.com/
    Johnny on the spot with my order and shipping.

I imagine you could charge a few people to extract their honey and help pay for it in short order. I never do anything that won't pay for itself, or at least help cover expences. Works well with the 'Dead Man' syndrome

Maxant is good, Dadant is good, most of the 9/18 type imports are fine too. I don't think anyone will wear through whatever gauge steel they use. The very best extractor is the used one that fits your needs. They last pretty much forever for most of us since we use them about a week a year.

I have the MANN LAKE Motorized Radial 18/9 Frame Extractor. I've used it for 2 seasons now. A family member had given me a Mann Lake gift certificate for $200 so with the free shipping it came to my door for $1000. It has worked perfectly. It is put togeather just fine but as others have mentioned the guage of stainless is a little thinner. I don't think that really matters much though. That being said if I was paying full price I would buy the Maxant even though I have no complaints whatsoever with mine.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

I'm trying to figure out what's gonna wear the sides and bottom of the extractor? The honey dripping down? I have the ML 18/9, it works great, but if you're looking at quality etc... maxant or dadant probably have it beat there.

I think the thinner gauge is a problem with denting on the outside. We have a good friend who helped move my mixer and extractor into this room. His nick name is 'Wrecking Ball" He does demo for a living, but is hard on stuff.

I was nervous!
    I wouldn't be too happy if the kids were kicking the ball around or something and put a big dent in the stainless.

Don't think wearing through the thin steel is the issue, but I agree that thicker is better. We have Maxant, and I've used Dadant in the past. Have checked out several Mann Lake models in their showroom and other supply stores, and they just don't have the good, solid feel of the others. Maybe other construction factors contribute too, but the thin tank is surely a big part of this. As mentioned above, potential damage from "outside forces" should be considered too.

H.T Krantz is one company that supports this forum and sells Maxant extractors. They also have a thread in the supporters section of main forum.

I believe they had a special on smaller extractors with free shipping. Might want to ask Chris about that.

If you do buy one from them, see if you can't talk him out of a free Maxant hat too

Just peeked at the Maxant site Maxant.com/Extractors and looks like they updated the 1400

Quote Originally Posted by crazylocha View Post
    H.T Krantz is one company that supports this forum and sells Maxant extractors. Maxant.com/Extractors and looks like they updated the 1400
    Out of stock

Not here!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I have the Maxant bottler and I also have Dadant 20 frame extractor. In years past I also owned the older Maxant extractor. You will never go wrong with buying quality. Mann Lake doesn't manufacture extractors the people in another country do. One thing for sure, if you buy the Maxant or Dadant extractors you won't wonder if you made the right choice. If you buy the Mann Lake version you might indeed wonder if you did. Buy USA we need the business.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

So I have not used mine yet, but see they have redesigned the stainlesssteel basket for 2013
    Why? Was the old one not performing or lasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    We do Commercial construction and I am pretty picky about the quality of my tools.
    If I had that Hobart I would have made an extractor out of that. That baby would sling honey.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Lauri

I am not an expert on the Maxant extractor but as I recall there was an issue with the basket and clips accepting plastic frames without some minor field bending. I am sure that Jake will chime in here to clarify. Isn't the Maxant reel made of aluminum instead of stainless? Anyhow, I almost purchased that machine but the shipping to get the Dadant to my shop was a couple hundred bucks less so.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    Not here!
    Jake do you ever have trade in or used equipment for sale? I will be needing a sump and pump this and really would like a spinner under the 1700mpb.

That was the 9 frame extractor and Pierco frames. We have fixed that issue.
    The 1400 was a mix of aluminum and stainless, we have recently redesigned
    it to a all stainless basket.
    LSU, we dont deal with used or trade ins.
    However, we make and sell NEW!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"