Default Hello from southeastern Wisconsin.

My name is Brian, this is going to be my second season of beekeeping. I started 2012 with 2 colonies of Italian bees, went into winter with two(I thought) strong colonies with plenty of stores to get them through. I now have one colony of Italians (very strong) and I have done the post-mortem on the dead hive. There is plenty of honey and pollen, there was a tiny cluster of bees at the top most place in the hive.......surrounded by food. I was told this might happen. My question to whoever would like to take a crack at it is this; Should I install a new package right into the hive full of honey? Will this cause some unintended behaviors in the bees, or will they just utilize the stores and strengthen faster. I see NO varoa mites on any of my bees, no hive beetles, the remaining colony is quite strong. I would love to hear from other beekeepers who have utilized the prior colony's labor. If this is a bad idea, let me know. May 22 I will be installing a new package of Italians from N. California into a hive full of honey, as long as the other colony does not rob the honey. Either way, these bees will have a head start on the drawn out comb.

Default Re: Hello from southeastern Wisconsin.

aspen- Close up the dead colony to prevent robbing. Then put your pkg. in it, when it arrives.

Close up the dead hive. When you see dandelions, split your strong hive and distribute the resources of the dead out between the two. Let the queenless split raise it's own queen by making sure it has a frame of eggs. This will control swarming, knock back varroa in the queenless hive, replace your loss for free and give you options when your package arrives.

When your package arrives, sell it locally because folks that forgot to order on time are willing to buy it for $100+, or hive it as a third colony or put it in a nuc with a frame of honey and sealed brood for sale in June for a tidy profit.

Welcome and Warmest regards.

Thanks all!
    I just closed up the dead colony and I may just attempt the split. I have an empty nuc on standby for just in case...... Hope it is warm where you are, cause it sure ISN'T HERE!

Welcome Brian!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hello Brian, Sent you a PM if interested contact me.

Welcome to the site!