Default Why not use a real pot for swarm traps?

I see how well the paper flower pot type swarm traps work, even the state inspectors use them. What if I have some large tree nursery plastic pots available? Why not just hang one of those up and bait it?

Default Re: Why not use a real pot for swarm traps?

The bees would are not real crazy for the plastic. I have heard some folks that have tried though. Not sure of the results.

Quote Originally Posted by BackYardPhenomena View Post
    What if I have some large tree nursery plastic pots available? Why not just hang one of those up and bait it?
    You could try, but like Shannon said, bees are not crazy about plastic. And also, once they have been in your pot, the project would then switch to a cut out.

Shane

One of the major suppliers used to sell plastic bucket swarm traps. Bees do not care what hives are made of. They settle in grills, fuel tanks, septic tanks, plastic meter boxes, plastic drums, and even a few plastic hives on the market. The reason they are paper now is lower cost. We still have a couple plastic bait hives at Apiry Inspection, but we buy several hundred for the ports and Florida borders. They are all paper for cost.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You should use your standard hive bodies for swarm traps. You will not have to do a cutout or any extra work, just move it to your stand.