Default SHB & Crisco ... feeding or killing them?

Suddenly my hives are under Small Hive Beetle attack. I am deploying everything I know and have at my disposal, chemical-free. I took my screened bottom board inserts, coated the inserts heavily with Crisco and dolloped SHB bait I'd made (cider vinegar, sugar, rotten banana peel) on top. The next day there were lots of beetle larvae on the boards. Only one beetle had been trapped there. The larvae were tiny and medium sized, but mostly tiny.

Is it plausible that the shortening attracted the larvae out of the hives and down to the bottom board inserts? Will the Crisco trap the larvae, or was I just feeding them a wonderful shortening diet, and they could crawl back up into the hive when they wanted?

I ended up putting diatemaceous earth on top the next day. It killed all the larvae ... well, everything on the boards. No more larvae have dropped since, but Varroa mites were killed and two adult beetles. So is topping with the DE preventing success at attracting larvae and beetles out of the hives and onto the screened bottom board inserts? I've sprayed with oil before and never seen larvae on the inserts. I'm now deploying a bunch of Crisco sealed corex traps that'll have diatemaceous earth inside the hives instead of boric acid (no chemicals allowed in my hives), so we'll see how those work, too.

Default Re: SHB & Crisco ... feeding or killing them?

They eat Crisco it only kills them if they get trapped. DE will kill them but if your putting it on the Crisco I believe you are reducing the killing power. If you are useing DE, you can make some traps out on slimline cd cases. You can find videos online. Last year I mane baited traps out of the smaller butter tubs which worked pretty well. I baited them with pollen patty.

Quote Originally Posted by billybwf View Post
    They eat Crisco it only kills them if they get trapped. DE will kill them but if your putting it on the Crisco I believe you are reducing the killing power.
    Yeah, the Crisco didn't seem to be slowing down the larvae any. I'll switch to vegetable oil on those inserts. I'm gonna see how the corex and DVD case traps work out (and my "Sonny Mel" traps).

I read a research paper on various methods of trapping and killing SHB's and their larvae. It claimed that DE killed the beetles, but that the larvae were tough enough to withstand it (if temporarily). I have enclosed bottom boxes on my top bar hives with DE in them and so far they seem to be doing the trick. The beetles are chased through cuts in the bottom of the hives and fall into the DE below. However, DE isn't poison and I don't know if putting them in DVD cases as you would boric acid will work effectively, especially as the Crisco may reduce or even eliminate the usefulness of the DE as a dessicating agent.

Interesting! I'm going to find out. I suspect the Corex traps might be very effective ... OR, if not DE perhaps filling them with a little bit of oil instead would work (and sealing with Crisco). When I remove my screen bottom board inserts, I found a ton of earwigs in the corex cavities. I think the beetles will love 'em.

BTW, does dusting with sugar irritate the bees so that they chase the beetles around even more? I know the sugar doesn't affect the beetles, but angry bees hot on their trail is a good thing.

what is DE? Thanks

diatomaceous earth