Default Intersting discovery with SHB Today!

I have had problems with them in the past. I have screened bottom boards, so to help keep them out I had cut political signs and stuck them under. Well they will be spraying the field close by tomorrow so I blocked them in and took the signs out for ventilation. Well every one of them was full of beetle larva and beetles. So instead of keeping them out I gave them a perfect breeding grounds! I am scared to look inside tomorrow evening when I let them loose again. One of the hives is booming the queen is laying from one side of the frame to the other in about six frames in each deep (two deeps). I might be getting some guardstar and check mite depending on how bad they are, never used either before. Lesson learned!
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Default Re: Intersting discovery with SHB Today!

Quote Originally Posted by beehonest View Post
    I have had problems with them in the past. I have screened bottom boards, so to help keep them out I had cut political signs and stuck them under. Well they will be spraying the field close by tomorrow so I blocked them in and took the signs out for ventilation. Well every one of them was full of beetle larva and beetles. So instead of keeping them out I gave them a perfect breeding grounds! I am scared to look inside tomorrow evening when I let them loose again. One of the hives is booming the queen is laying from one side of the frame to the other in about six frames in each deep (two deeps). I might be getting some guardstar and check mite depending on how bad they are, never used either before. Lesson learned!
    since you have political signs handy, watch this video and try this before spending a lot of money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_KDPp8H6PU
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Thanks Modem, I have seen that as well as cd cases with roach bait and many other tricks. I have beetle blasters in there, I am afraid there will be a bunch of larve in the comb, thus the mite away thought. I will find out today. I think I will get some guardstar, the generic name at the farm supply, a lot cheaper.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

So did you use the boric acid and Crisco? I saw that video and thought about giving it a try

Luckily I did not have to do anything, the larva were just in the screened part on top of the sign. I thought about that, supposedly if you have a couple beetles in a container and vibrate the container it causes them to start mating almost instantly. It has rained a lot hear that must have started them mating, and the screen was a perfect hiding place. The beetle blasters usually keep the adults in check, the larva scared me. I don't know if guard star will be beneficial, I will be moving the apiary at the end of the year, it's on a farm and the land is rented. My fear with the Crisco/ boric acid is when the beetle gets through the layer of Crisco to the acid, that if you are inspecting and shake the bottom board the powder would spill out. You can take cd cases and drill small holes in them and put roach gel inside the case. It kills them instantly and the bait is gel so no spilling. Lot's of other tricks if you search. Beetle Blasters have always served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by beehonest View Post
    You can take cd cases and drill small holes in them and put roach gel inside the case. It kills them instantly and the bait is gel so no spilling. Lot's of other tricks if you search. Beetle Blasters have always served me well.
    John Pluta has some traps like that for sale.

http://georgiabees.blogspot.com/
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Crisco/boric acid taps don't work. Beetle Jail Jrs between frames with tube roach bait works wonders.