Default Captured Swarm ...now what?

Yesterday I captured a large sized swarm from my strongest hive. I put them in two medium 8 frame boxes due to the number of bees, along with some old brood comb and foundation. An experienced beekeeper suggested keeping them closed up for a couple days with sugar syrup since I'm keeping them close to the original hive. Plan to use a baffle at the entrance to force them to reorient once I let them loose. Is this a good technique and how long should I keep is colony grounded?
    BeevilleVA
    BeevilleVA

Default Re: Captured Swarm ...now what?

Congratulations! I just had the same experience last weekend, and from everything I was able to read and ask my mentors, you don't need to leave them closed up more than overnight. As a swarm, they will automatically reorient to their new home. The best advice I found was to put a frame of open brood in with them if you have it, because they will seldom abandon brood, thus are less likely to abscond. And don't mess with them much for the first 2 weeks--give them a chance to settle in. Seems to be working for me--mine seem to have happily settled in. Feeding is good--mine took it at first, then not so much. Good luck!

Default Re: Captured Swarm ...now what?

As long as your daytime temps aren't too high, then you can keep them "locked" down for a few days, no real problem. I'd recommend covering the entrance with some screen though, so they can still effectively fan to regulate hive temperature. After you've had them "cooped up" for a few days, they should automatically re-orient upon leaving the boxes anywise, so I don't think that *should* be an issue for you