Default First swarm for me Woo Hoo

I talked to a friend of mine that care takes an old farm and lives on the property. He had given a bush hog away and when they pulled it out, there was a "bunch of honey bees" in it. I was bummed he didn't call me but excited that there were bees in the area. He agreed to let me put a bait box in his yard. That was last Monday. Put the bait box up Wed. He called me yesterday afternoon telling me there were lots of bees around the box. Tough to get him to describe the behavior so I could determine if they were investigating, or had moved in. Went by today. They were coming and going. Had guards at the entrance. Will wait till I see pollen before I fool with them. Put up another box near that one just in case there's an after swarm It was a good day
    Rick

Default Re: First swarm for me Woo Hoo

Good catch.
    Putting another box is a good idea. If I catch a swarm I always put another box in the same location. I have caught many secondary swarms that way. For example, I have caught three swarms from the same front yard this year. I did not have swarm boxes there, but was called by the residents all three time.